Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > DRUM IMAGE GALLERY

Nur für Mitglieder!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: My New "Vintage" Downbeat kit!

Here's a closeup showing more of the tom holder and finish. Still not as clear as I'd like!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Closeup1.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	50379  
Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Nice job, man...those tubs are killer! I love the Black Galaxy wrap and when I get to wrapping my next drum kit, that wrap is on the to of my list. Enjoy them until you can no longer play...
Old 11-15-2012, 05:49 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Very nice! What were the issues with the bearing edges?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:06 AM
Super Moderator

Mark!

You have more then "paid homage to Ludwig's golden years"... absolutely GORGEOUS! The very 1st set my parents bought for me.. ( in 1967 no less! ) .. was the Ludwig Downbeat. These took me all the way back. BEAUTIFUL!

Tommyp
Old 11-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Real nice! I have been thinking that I just want one kit that can kind of do it all and that looks like it could be it! I think those sizes are perfect for any situation! What heads do have on them, especially the kick? Also, can you get a better pic of the spurs??
Thanks
Old 11-15-2012, 10:57 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I can vouch for Mark as this is a true homage to a great classic kit. I've had the opportunity to see it and play it (gently, as Mark knows I'm a basher!!) and it sounds as good as it looks. The 14 floor tom is IMO is the shine on this diamond, it is magical as is the whole kit.

Bearing edge issues I heard a lot of firsthand and I know that Mark is a perfectionist to the truest word and I'm glad he got them fixed!!

Nice work and kit Mark!!
Old 11-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

beautiful. i love 'em. thats a beautiful color. like what you did with them. ive got an original galaxy kit. but i also have a snare and a canister throne in the same wrap that you have. cool stuff!

mike
Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElMoonlightDrummer View Post
Nice job, man...those tubs are killer! I love the Black Galaxy wrap and when I get to wrapping my next drum kit, that wrap is on the to of my list. Enjoy them until you can no longer play...
Thanks for the compliments! As Purdie Shuffle mentioned in another post, Galaxy Sparkle is not available to the public. It's a special finish offered to a select few dealers. I happened to see it on a Legacy kit at Professional Drum Shop in Hollywood and loved it! When I downloaded the order guides for the Maple Classic series, this color is not even listed! You have to write it at the top of each page for each drum. Even Ludwig's website gives no indication that it's available! I've been in contact with Randy Wagers at Ludwig and he informs me that he'll be discussing this with others to bring this finish to the masses! For now, it's nice knowing that it's a limited finish!
Old 11-15-2012, 12:20 PM

Those are simply stunning. I guess they can make 'em like they used to (with a lot of effort!). Well done! Take it as a compliment when your kit ends up as a Ludwig catalog offering in the future. I want one!