Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 114.83090%

Rare Ludwig Identification

I need help identifying this ludwig shell and hoops. It has a beautiful wood star inlay...No outer badge or serial numbers anywhere, but the inside has a ludwig and "aero kraft " sticker. There isn't any hardware or holes drilled apart from one small eyelet on the top hoop and shell... Also, the drum measures 15 1/2 inches! Has anyone seen this era drum or know it's history?

Posted on 5 years ago

The Aero Kraft shells are usually 1920's I think.

Posted on 5 years ago

I've checked with everyone I know in the game and everyone is stumped. I believe it's 20s-ish but have never seen a wooden inlay or decorative hoops like this. Maybe it was something special? I contacted Sonny at Ludwig and am waiting to hear back for help...

Posted on 5 years ago

It's my understanding that these are 20's as well. I've read that the Aero Kraft concept was a marketing strategy put together by Ludwig during that period based on an actual event.

Posted on 5 years ago

Here's a few screen shots of the Ludwig catalogs from the '20's...

One of the pages (Ludwig_1927_b) has the statement "Send for prices on ornamental finishes." Not sure if that means fancy inlays as in your example or some appliqués that adorned some drums (i.e. a sticker from the organization you were drumming/participating with) and are clearly featured in later catalogs.

Posted on 5 years ago

From Hoppy

Here's a few screen shots of the Ludwig catalogs from the '20's...One of the pages (Ludwig_1927_b) has the statement "Send for prices on ornamental finishes." Not sure if that means fancy inlays as in your example or some appliqués that adorned some drums (i.e. a sticker from the organization you were drumming/participating with) and are clearly featured in later catalogs.

Good point, they also called metal engraved ornamental too.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 5 years ago

I wasn't aware Ludwig even offered inlays on the early drums, so I'm going to link another thread, from the For Sale section, that features Schmegeggie's recently sold '29-'32, 5"x14", Super Sensitive with 2 rings of inlay on it... just to bring together these "inlay" drums together for future reference....

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?p=441404#post441404

Posted on 5 years ago

The 'inlays" on late 1920's Ludwig wood drums are decals, not inlays.......

Posted on 5 years ago

one of the pieces of the inlay is coming up in the corner which is why I think it is wood inlaid into the shell, not a decal🤷🏻*♂️

Posted on 5 years ago

Well, here is a picture of a complete drum, made by the 20th Century Drum Company... most likely, the stickers inside were not original.

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here