Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.46764%

Questions!!

Back in 1980, I bought a used set of Ludwig's that came with brand new(0ne week old) Zildjian cymbals. 14" New Beat hi hats, an 18" crash/ride and a 16" cymbal stamped "Dance". It was quite heavy and resembled a mini cup ride. I've never seen or heard about one since. Anybody else?

Posted on 13 years ago

Yes, I have.

Posted on 13 years ago

Really? That's cool. Do you have any idea what Zildjian had in mind for this model? I just used it as my primary crash, but it sounded great played with brushes in an acoustic setting.

Posted on 13 years ago

From fabgear67

Really? That's cool. Do you have any idea what Zildjian had in mind for this model? I just used it as my primary crash, but it sounded great played with brushes in an acoustic setting.

Its just a type of ride cymbal. Be-Bop, Bounce, Dance,...all just types of rides.

It went like this:

If the cymbal tester played a ride pattern on it and in his head he started to hear Coltrane, Miles, Charlie Parker or (fill in the blank) in his head, then it was stamped Be-Bop.

If he started playing a ride pattern and it was one of those cymbals with lots of "stick give-back", then it was labeled a Bounce.

And if he started to ride on it, but there just wasn't that much "stick give-back", and instead the bead of the stick just sort of danced along the surface a little...then it was a dance.

Ya got that?

Posted on 13 years ago

Yeah, thanks for the info-very interesting.

Posted on 13 years ago

From fabgear67

Yeah, thanks for the info-very interesting.

Yes, intriguing wasn't it? But wait...there's more.

Just take a look at the Zildjian price list for 1949:

[img]http://photos.imageevent.com/drumaholic/cymbalexamples/large/1949.jpg[/img]

It says:

"BeBop Bounce is for bounce sticking as well as crash..."

Although its true that no mention is made of "Dance" here but you can see here that these other two terms are essentially interchangeable.

I believe that Zildjian defined "Dance" as 'a type of ride cymbal designed for today's modern dance bands', or something equally as nebulous as that.

I'll dig up their exact definition for this and repost it when I do; but it was something like that.

Posted on 13 years ago

Sorry for the off-topic.

At that age, Zilco cymbals were from 9" to 19" inch? I've thought they'd made 20" or 22" rides.

In addition, those prices are lower than A. Zildjian(First stamp?). What does it mean?

Posted on 13 years ago

Bill, that is a great ad, i notice the flange hats pictured shows the flanged cymbal at the top. Is that the correct way of playing these? Reason i ask is i just got a pair from the 50's and the flanged cymbal is actually lighter by 35 grams.

Gary

Sonor teardrops:
12,13,16,20, 14x5 snare
Fibes crystallite-14x5.5 snare
Posted on 13 years ago

I just found it odd that in 1980 they were still using those terms. I don't think this cymbal was NOS- the stamp was big and bold. I had a catalog from around that time and don't recall any of these models listed. Instead it was "Rock" and "Earth" ride- that type of thing.

Posted on 13 years ago

From gSonor

Bill, that is a great ad, i notice the flange hats pictured shows the flanged cymbal at the top. Is that the correct way of playing these? Reason i ask is i just got a pair from the 50's and the flanged cymbal is actually lighter by 35 grams.Gary

No, definitely not.

They just pictured them that way so you could see the flanged cymbal.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here