Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.86848%

Paiste 602 Thin Crash value

Well if calfskin and Drumaholic is right,,,we have a nice class action lawsuit brewingSumo Dude

Posted on 11 years ago

From Jon Petersen

Neither have I - regrettably, "mine" was from the library.But I must have read it in another way than you did, because I got the impression that Paiste DID make the 602s exactly the same way as Zildjian et al.To quote Zenstats qoute from the cymbal book:"My evidence for multi way rolling comes from Pinksterboer p215Quote:The Paiste Sound Alloy is, just like B20, rolled in different directions"But hey - I will not say I know. I am just very surprised that first Calfskin and now you say that you know. And most surprisingly, know something that is at best somewhat at odds with what most other people seem to think.Including me, after reading Pinksterboer.Calfskin doesn´t seem to accept 602´s as made from B20 - what do you think about that?Apparently, he also thinks it´s wrong to say Zildjian A´s are made from B20, as Zildjian sometimes claim to adding a little silver to the alloy - and then it is apparently not B20....So - what to think?RegardsJon

The 602's are made of B-20. I don't think there's any evidence to the contrary on that.

And as to the claim that Zildjian adds silver to their alloy...not true.

A trace of silver is already present in the copper. That's how they get away with making that claim. It makes for good advertising hype.

Posted on 11 years ago

Every alloy/metal has a different conductivity rating, per the IACS (International Annealed Copper Standard). All one needs is a tester, and a chip of pure B20. Touch the pure chip of B20, then touch the cymbal in question, and see where their phases line up on the tester........A branch of the company I work for does this all the time to verify the tube material that is being tested.

Or, you can touch a Zildjan, then touch a 602 Paiste, and see where they line up on the tester. Also, I would have to believe that materials that are rolled differently would register a bit differently, conductivity-wise, but that is my theory, and not a fact of the argument.

I don't own a 602, or I would take them to work and figure this out in about thirty seconds..............

It isn't rocket science, or anything "magical" about cymbals and their materials. It is physics.

Toodles

Drumhack

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 11 years ago

That's right. Paiste touts their "sound creation alloy" like it's some big secret.

All you'd need to do to find out the exact formulation would be to take it to a lab for quantitative analysis. No more secret then.

Posted on 11 years ago

From Drumaholic

The 602's are made of B-20. I don't think there's any evidence to the contrary on that.And as to the claim that Zildjian adds silver to their alloy...not true.A trace of silver is already present in the copper. That's how they get away with making that claim. It makes for good advertising hype.

OK, we agree on this!

Then remains only the discussion about whether 602 are made from sheet and how they are rolled...and how we will get to know that?

Regards

Jon

Posted on 11 years ago

From Drumaholic

The 602's are made of B-20. I don't think there's any evidence to the contrary on that.And as to the claim that Zildjian adds silver to their alloy...not true.A trace of silver is already present in the copper. That's how they get away with making that claim. It makes for good advertising hype.

LOL. They aren't getting their monies worth of "upgraded-alloy-advertising" then! During copper mining operations, they also find $izable amounts of gold, which they separate from the copper via some electric process or something like that, which I doubt is 100% effective!

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses then why the hell do they keep score Peg? - Al Bundy
Posted on 11 years ago

From Drumaholic

That's right. Paiste touts their "sound creation alloy" like it's some big secret.All you'd need to do to find out the exact formulation would be to take it to a lab for quantitative analysis. No more secret then.

Actually, you might mean the "Paiste Sound Alloy". The alloy was created and patented (I've seen the patents posted on various site before) so it wasn't a "secret" per se, as it was intellectual property that other makers were not allowed to use without compensating Paiste for its use. Now, the patent has expired and the alloy is free game for anyone to use.

And to the original poster: Paiste has re-issued the 18" 602 Thin Crash, so you can find it new (although the label is no longer blue, but the classic hollow-black "PAiSTe" from the 70s.

And one thing; Paiste receives circular blanks from its supplier, much like many artisan cymbalsmiths do, such as Matt Bettis, Matt Nolan, Craig in Australia, Michael Paiste, and many others (in fact, Matt Nolan and Michael Paiste occasionally source their blanks from the same foundry as Paiste). The cymbals' profiles are then hammered into shape (for the pro lines) and pressed into shape for the student/budget lines.

Posted on 11 years ago

From ivmike

Actually, you might mean the "Paiste Sound Alloy". The alloy was created and patented (I've seen the patents posted on various site before) so it wasn't a "secret" per se, as it was intellectual property that other makers were not allowed to use without compensating Paiste for its use. Now, the patent has expired and the alloy is free game for anyone to use. And to the original poster: Paiste has re-issued the 18" 602 Thin Crash, so you can find it new (although the label is no longer blue, but the classic hollow-black "PAiSTe" from the 70s. And one thing; Paiste receives circular blanks from its supplier, much like many artisan cymbalsmiths do, such as Matt Bettis, Matt Nolan, Craig in Australia, Michael Paiste, and many others (in fact, Matt Nolan and Michael Paiste occasionally source their blanks from the same foundry as Paiste). The cymbals' profiles are then hammered into shape (for the pro lines) and pressed into shape for the student/budget lines.

O.K., well that's a nice story. But how does that have anything to do with this disussion?

Posted on 11 years ago

From Drumaholic

O.K., well that's a nice story. But how does that have anything to do with this disussion?

To me, it has just about everything to do with this discussion. Like Ivmikes post here:

From ivmike

All bronze is cast; the sheet, to which you are referring is the foundry initially casting the bronze and then rolling out large amounts of the bronze and then cutting blanks. "Sheet Bronze" versus "Cast Bronze" is marketing hype.

I think both posts are highly relevant to this discussion. But maybe we don´t agree to what we are really discussing?

;-)

Regards

Jon

Posted on 11 years ago

From Jon Petersen

To me, it has just about everything to do with this discussion. Like Ivmikes post here:I think both posts are highly relevant to this discussion. But maybe we don´t agree to what we are really discussing?;-)RegardsJon

How its actually rolled is what's at issue here.

The method of casting sheet bronze is quite different from casting the bronze into individual ingots and then forming them into billets.

Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here