Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 133.26931%

Mystery Paiste Stamp?

Hello!

I picked up these 14" hats for a good price. I have not seen this Paiste stamp before. It has a Formula 602 Type Stamp (although it's certainly not) and I've also seen a similar stamp on Ludwig Standards, but never that style stamp by itself.

Anyone have any guesses? In picture 2 (Stamp Close Up), the word on top of the "Sun Rays" says "Trademark". It doesn't look like B20 Bronze, it looks lower quality. The cymbals are very thin (both are just over 800 grams) and the top cymbal is actually warped, but they sound very good. Very scoopy and swishy like Philly Joe. They guy at the store said he though they might be original Giant Beats from the 60's, but I don't think Giant Beats were made out of that type of metal? (They Might Be Giants?) Plus, I would have to think Giant Beats were heavier. If Bonham used Giant Beats, than these thin hats would not have lasted one song with his onslaught!

Anyway, they do say Switzerland on the stamp, which as far as I understand is generally considered better than the German made Paiste stuff.

Thanks for your info!

V

2 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

I just thought to myself......well those are just Nickel Silver Luddy Standards! But then I looked at your pic...look too golden/yellow to be NS.

Perhaps Bonzoleum might have an idea. You could always try to reach out to someone at Paiste.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 9 years ago

I've learned not to try and judge the material cymbals are made from in photos. Too much variation from unstandardized lighting and color balance.

That looks like the original Giant Beat die stamp, as seen on the Paiste-Only wiki:

http://www.paiste-only.com/paistewiki/index.php?title=Image:GiantBeat20.jpg

You'll notice that it is a slightly different version from the one you see before scrolling down:

http://www.paiste-only.com/paistewiki/index.php?title=Image:Orignal_GB_engraved_logo.jpg

Having discovered at least 3 distinct 602 variants

http://black.net.nz/paiste.html

I now think it is just a matter of time before we get similar variation in the GB dies documented.

So...it's in the GB position, looks like the GB one in the wiki, has GB style lathing and the weight isn't inconsistent with the early GBs (see the earliest top weight of 749g reported from 1972 on the wiki page: http://www.paiste-only.com/paistewiki/index.php?title=Giant_Beat_14%22_Hi-Hat).

Looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, most likely a Giant Beat (he ducks for cover).

Posted on 9 years ago

I found the identical stamp on this thread, it was positively ID as a late 60`s early 70`s Giant beat, Hope this helps......

https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?168632-vintage-paiste-s-new-look!

It`s and old thread 2007 but .....something to go on.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 9 years ago

Dammit Mr. Gather,....why you type so kwik......

Posted on 9 years ago

Giant beat me by ....that much..

Posted on 9 years ago

If you`re in Australia, And I`m in Boston,....What`s with those times ?

Posted on 9 years ago

Least mines shows the bell.

Posted on 9 years ago

Actually I think he beat you by one whole day...Laughing H..

Cheers

John

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 9 years ago

From longjohn

Actually I think he beat you by one whole day...Laughing H..CheersJohn

Fun E

I got a hit first try, took five minutes to type it with one finger and bam,...He`s got half a library up.

Do they get the lottery before us ??....Hmmmm

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here