Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 132.66806%

How to remove a drum badge?

I want to remove a Ludwig badge on a drum set that I'm going to restore. Is there a trick to removing the badge and gromet with out damage to the badge, gromet or wood?

Posted on 15 years ago

There was a previous thread about this I believe... you might try a search for the details..

But as I recall it went something like this ... the grommet is a goner in the process... it is rolled from the back when it is installed and you can't un-roll it without damaging it.

The key is not to damage the inside of the shell which is where you will be working. Two suggestions where made:

First was use an oversized drill bit and slowly and very carefully apply the drill to cut off and remove the inner rolled edge of the grommet in the same manner you might remove a rivet. Once that is done, a dowel or drill bit that matches the size of the grommet can be used to tap it through the hole thus freeing the badge.

Second was to carefully using a curved file or maybe a even a small rat tail file to file off the inner rolled edge of the grommet and then tap it out from the back as mentioned above.

I have never removed a grommet from a shell I was worried about not beating up a little so I just cut the rolled edge with small nippers in about 4 places and then squeeze the grommet roll into the middle with pliers and push it out the hole from the back. Very little damage to the shell but the potential was there.

There may be better ways.. but those are the one I recall reading.. here or someplace.

Slow and steady. OOPS!! is a bad thing!

NOTE: my only experience is with Slingerland grommets on wood shells... the badge and grommet on my Luddy Acro looks like it might be a little tougher to work on.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

From Prostix

I want to remove a Ludwig badge on a drum set that I'm going to restore. Is there a trick to removing the badge and gromet with out damage to the badge, gromet or wood?

Take a look here:

www.stdrums.de and then Tips and Tricks page.

He show you how to remove it , on different ways, and how to put it back without any speciall tools.

Camco LA-Ebony Stain-73/78?
Premier "Pre" Elite-Turquis Oyster-1969
Trixon Luxus-Red Ripple-1961
Sneres - Ludwig, Slingerland, GeoWay and so on...
Cymbals- Most K-Zildjian & Paiste 2002
(and some Pearl, Tama and so long, long time ago...)

http://groovesuperfly.webs.com/

I removed mine and I did the "OPPS" and did a little damage, but this is my drum and I have no plans to sell.

HOWEVER, there is a tool you can buy for $40 bucks to put a new grommet on - don't fall for this. I replaced mine with a bolt and a cap-nut that was drilled all the way through. if you wnat a pic - let me know. You can buy them at ACE or Home Depot for about a buck total!

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the link Superfly.

Posted on 15 years ago

I put this together about 4 years ago on the topic of re-finishing a snare drum

Click Here

David

Posted on 15 years ago

I have used a counter sink (a good Bosch one with a hole, not flutes) and reamed the back of the grommet removing just enough metal so the "peened" area will fold straight and pulled it through the drum.

I used a touch of double faced tape on the back of the badge and a touch of super glue gel on the grommet and it pushed right back over and held well.

Can't go fast, just take little bites at a time, if it goes south, just put a new one in and age it.

Posted on 15 years ago

From vibeguy56

I removed mine and I did the "OPPS" and did a little damage, but this is my drum and I have no plans to sell.HOWEVER, there is a tool you can buy for $40 bucks to put a new grommet on - don't fall for this. I replaced mine with a bolt and a cap-nut that was drilled all the way through. if you wnat a pic - let me know. You can buy them at ACE or Home Depot for about a buck total!

I'd like to see this! The $40 for a machined nut and threaded rod seems pretty ridiculous... even though, the results look great, I must say.

Posted on 13 years ago

The $40 is cuz the tool is hardened !!

You`ll loose the gromet durring removal !!

Anything other than the gromet nut and you risk an uneven curl wich leaves the badge loose.

No supposed to remove a badge !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

I have done the slightly larger drill bit thing many,many times........works good............

"Always make sure your front bottom BD lugs clear the ground!"
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here