Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.86639%

851 grm top, 1226 grm bottom?!?

well here is my input...check my past post ....i have some old 60s a's that weigh 886 g and bottom is 1206g....And i think they sound great...i know that they are called zildjian a new beats' from the 60s ....they are actually on the dark side with good stick definition and good chick sound .and when i strike it open it has a warm mellow dark wash that goes higher in pitch right before i shut it.....i think they sound great for jazz or rock...but they are patina'd nicely.....also they will never sound as if they where a pair of 800gram and 800gram ...of coarse

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]l kinda disagree that these would be a bad combo - are we talking 14's here ? lf so, 900\1200 isn't all that strange - although one would have a good argument that they're not factory. Basically surrendering some slosh\ksssssssh for some crispness...[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

I have an EAK 13 inch top hat around 700-800 grams, the bottom is a "Z" that is also 13 inches in diameter, and it weighs a hefty 1440 grams....best sounding hats I've played so far, crispy as a Lay's potato chip

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

I know many rules are not set in stone, and maybe what I'm about to write is something that is considered a "modern" concept. But I was under the impression that a matched set of hats were usually within 150-180 grams of each other. That's why, when I saw these hats, I was like, "Daaayumm!!" 375 gram difference--seemed odd to me. But of course, my knowledge is limited in these matters!

Posted on 14 years ago

I wasn't inferring that these were a 'bad' match. Just that the bottom was heavy. This is a match made by all the major brands - heavy to extra heavy bottom with a medium to medium thin top. It gives it a real crispness. If that's what you're looking for, then knock yourself out. It will sound good, no doubt. I had a "wow" moment when the word 'vintage' was attached to that bottom hat matched with that top. That's not the norm for those days. Don't get me wrong, they were around...just not the norm.

Posted on 14 years ago

I agree completely with mcjnic, also we both were answering questions in the moment, the auction was active with only 23 minutes to go and they had a reserve on them and did not sell, so they are still available, also some of my responses were from pm's sent to me at the same time, i was answering his pm's on the forum for lack of time, these were simply my answers to his questions being asked, we were not saying the are not good sounding cymbals

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

I have a pair of A new beats with a bottom weighing in at 1490 grams. Rediculous inside when played open. work outside and they do give a clean crisp note with anything on top. But still... too darn heavy.

Posted on 14 years ago

Those are very typical weights for "new beats". A friend of mine in England just got a pair. The weights:

Top 840grams, bottom 1193grams

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here