Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 03-14-2013, 10:21 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to jonnistix
Default Re: Bolero Drums

Wilcommen der tromeller! This is a very nice finish that we call "rare", especially if you have a matching snare with 8 lugs. Even a 6 lug snare in original "Peacock Pearl" is hard to find, in any part of the world. It first shows up in the 1972 catalog, although we know it was available much earlier than that. If your drum shells are very thin, the kit dates from before approximately 1968 as both Star, (the maker of the drums, later to become TAMA) and Pearl went to thicker, more durable 6 and 9 ply shells. If there are reinforcement rings at the heads of the shells then they are the earlier 3 ply shells, much sought after by many as the tone is much lower and much more resonant. There is nothing at all wrong with the 9 ply shells, but they are not as sought after because they are everywhere, except in certain wrap colors, as this kit.
Hope my info helps, as I have not seen a post describing the true name of the color heretofore.
Greets from the land of the best college football (American style) in the world!!!
Here is a link to the page showing color choices, and also you will find much more info from Ralf's site.
http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversar...at_id=8&now=36
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Old 05-21-2020, 10:53 AM

Okay, Bolero (one L) was made by Pearl with their early short lugs (late 50's -early 60's).
Bollero was a model shown in the 1973 Star catalog.
There was also a Bollero was made by Pearl in the 60's to early 70's. The lugs and throws will tell the difference. There is a possibility in this one case, that it was a coincidence, but almost every case the stencil brand name is not managed by the manufacturer. Stewart is a prime example, all Stewarts were distributed by one company, but the drums were made by whoever won the bid. So over the course of the Stewart name Pearl, Star, and Hoshino K (all at different times) made these drums. On the flipside, Whitehall, in the Japanese era were always made by Pearl.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

I just purchased a "Bollero" snare that was definitely made by Pearl. In the process of restoring it now - shell is 5 5/8" deep. Very cool old drum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bollero.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	130968