Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 12-19-2019, 03:17 PM
Contributing Member

Default Re: Maybe off-topic - mufflers on modern drum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
I would say 2 seconds is probably normal, do you want it just to go away right after striking it? Try 2ply heads or tune the bottom head tighter. Using coated Emporers and cranking the bottom head up worked for Bonham on his Ludwig kit.
Good point, and worth trying on the floor tom. Thanks!

But to go back to the snare problem, it has a godawful metal overtone, like beating a lawnmower blade with a hammer. The snare is a 6.5x14, maple wood. Evans G1 coated on top, Evans 200 snare on bottom. My normal tuning is to tune the batter maybe a third higher than the reso, with "medium tight" spring tension.

This tuning works for me on my other snares (wood and brass) but for some reason, this DW snare hates me. I've tried all combinations of tuning and spring tension, and the only thing that fixes it is running a strip of cotton under the batter head.
2018 Precision Drum (natural maple, 10/12/13/16/20)
2019 DW Performance (cherry stain, 8/10/12/13/14/16/20/22 - shell bank!)
Old 12-19-2019, 04:23 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
The internal tone controls (mufflers) were eliminated from American manufacturers' drum making for one reason. The reason was for increased profit by removing at least two labor functions and the cost of necessary parts while not increasing the price of their drums. The internal tone controls allow for the drummer to instantly increase or decrease the amount of muffling and ring-cancellation with no effort. Ringo's tea towels were temporary mufflers. Cloth strips under the batter heads are going to stay in place until you remove the hoop and the head first. Rogers drums was the first manufacturer (I think) to address the shortcomings of having no internal tone controls by supplying external versions that clipped on to the hoops of snare drums and tom toms. Once the industry leapt off the cliff like lemmings, there was no turning back except for reissue attempts of vintage spec drums.

I still prefer an internal muffler on a snare drum (most of my snares are fitted) , but I still carry a few of those Rogers 70's external mufflers for toms. (The adjustable Rogers mufflers just clip on to the rim), I think Tama & Pearl also made similar clip on Mufflers.
The most effective muffling that I use are 1 1/2" wide, perimeter cut outs from used heads (based on Remo Rings) . I also carry a full 14" cut out from a head, This cuts out all ring on a clangy snare & mikes up particularly well..

Cheers
John
Old 12-19-2019, 05:41 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenwood View Post

But to go back to the snare problem, it has a godawful metal overtone, like beating a lawnmower blade with a hammer. The snare is a 6.5x14, maple wood. .
Try something unorthodox. Guaranteed to set the internet alight.

Loosen the bottom head.
Approach it more as you would a tom

(which it is. ..with metal spirally things running across it..)

Last edited by jda; 12-19-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2019, 06:18 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenwood View Post
Good point, and worth trying on the floor tom. Thanks!

But to go back to the snare problem, it has a godawful metal overtone, like beating a lawnmower blade with a hammer. The snare is a 6.5x14, maple wood. Evans G1 coated on top, Evans 200 snare on bottom. My normal tuning is to tune the batter maybe a third higher than the reso, with "medium tight" spring tension.

This tuning works for me on my other snares (wood and brass) but for some reason, this DW snare hates me. I've tried all combinations of tuning and spring tension, and the only thing that fixes it is running a strip of cotton under the batter head.
I've had several dw Collectors snare drums, didn't like any of them. They all had that metal sound you described and they were all maple drums. I would imagine the Performance Series would be even worse. Sell it and use a snare that works.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
I've had several dw Collectors snare drums, didn't like any of them. They all had that metal sound you described and they were all maple drums. I would imagine the Performance Series would be even worse. Sell it and use a snare that works.
Certainly an option... my Acrolite has less metal sound!
Old 12-20-2019, 08:57 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

The only Ludwig drum that I have ever really liked is the black galaxy B/W badge Acrolite that I bought for $50. It has a very focused woody sound. Maybe the factory paint job eliminates ringiness? Do any of you Ludwig mavens know if this is true only for the blackro or does it hold true for all Acrolites?
Old 12-20-2019, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
The only Ludwig drum that I have ever really liked is the black galaxy B/W badge Acrolite that I bought for $50.
That's the same model I have too. Good snare sound, easy to tune.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:11 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Great minds think alike.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:11 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I love Ludwig snares, vintage, new, all of them. I have an older Classic Maple that sounds incredible. Supras, Acrolites, Pioneer, Super Classic, I've had them all and not a one disappointed me, dw on the other hand, yuck.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The only Ludwig drum that I have ever really liked is the black galaxy B/W badge Acrolite that I bought for $50. It has a very focused woody sound. Maybe the factory paint job eliminates ringiness? Do any of you Ludwig mavens know if this is true only for the blackro or does it hold true for all Acrolites?
I have a 1970s Supraphonic that was painted black by a precious owner (looks professionally done) and I find that it does give it a bit of a shorter, darker tone. It favors a lower tuning, much more that my regular Supra. Both are 5.