Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-07-2019, 12:48 PM
JimmySticks JimmySticks is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 285
Default Bass Drum Mounted Cymbals

Hey guys, looking for opinions on bass drum mounted cymbal arms.

My Norma has the mount on the bass drum, although it didn't come with the arm. It takes a straight arm, which I luckily found on ebay, the only one! I grabbed it quick and just hoped it was the right size, which fortunately, it was. I thought they were common, but apparently only the L-shaped arms are.

Personally, I like it because it will save some room, its much cheaper than a decent cymbal stand and aesthetically speaking, it gives it the right jazz/bop look to the kit.

So who uses them, and what are your opinions?

Thanks!

PS - I just realized that this thread might be better in the General Drum forum. If so mods, please feel free to move it!

Last edited by JimmySticks; 07-07-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-07-2019, 02:19 PM
Tommyp's Avatar
Tommyp Tommyp is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,274
Default Re: Bass Drum Mounted Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySticks View Post
Hey guys, looking for opinions on bass drum mounted cymbal arms.

My Norma has the mount on the bass drum, although it didn't come with the arm. It takes a straight arm, which I luckily found on ebay, the only one! I grabbed it quick and just hoped it was the right size, which fortunately, it was. I thought they were common, but apparently only the L-shaped arms are.

Personally, I like it because it will save some room, its much cheaper than a decent cymbal stand and aesthetically speaking, it gives it the right jazz/bop look to the kit.

So who uses them, and what are your opinions?

Thanks!

PS - I just realized that this thread might be better in the General Drum forum. If so mods, please feel free to move it!

Well, not mods, mod ... and that would be me! <smile> Itís fine right here as you are still talking about a Non-USA set of drums/hardware! It shall remain. ENJOY!!!

Tommyp
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-07-2019, 02:31 PM
JimmySticks JimmySticks is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 285
Default Re: Bass Drum Mounted Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyp View Post
Well, not mods, mod ... and that would be me! <smile> Itís fine right here as you are still talking about a Non-USA set of drums/hardware! It shall remain. ENJOY!!!

Tommyp
HaHa! OK Tommyp, thanks!

Can you tell I'm a newbie?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-07-2019, 03:24 PM
Morgatto Morgatto is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Default Re: Bass Drum Mounted Cymbals

[QUOTE=JimmySticks;448627]So who uses them, and what are your opinions?/QUOTE]

Hi, JimmySticks. I'll always use that kind of mount if its firm enough, depends on the manofacturer/design. I'd try not to load big and heavy pies. It's not a good idea using it with rivets on recording sessions, as rivets will sizzle every time you hit the kick!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-07-2019, 09:48 PM
vyacheslav vyacheslav is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,454
Default Re: Bass Drum Mounted Cymbals

I took a look at your drums in a separate thread. Nice kit!

I wouldn't put a heavy cymbal on it. The other downside is that you can't adjust how close or far way from you the cymbal is like you can with a L-arm.

Is there an eye bolt on the inside? If so, that will help with security. I would also use an automotive hose clamp on the shaft where it hits the mount. This will not only provide extra security, but it will also provide a de facto memory lock.

Incidentally, DW makes a clamp on claw hook clamp that works great. If you find a cymbal L-arm, you can add a second cymbal, like a splash, to your bass drum Holds very sturdy and no drilling or mods required. I use it and it works great for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	126191   Click image for larger version

Name:	d4ffebafe55b468b88dc4b7a31089010.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	126192  
__________________
"The worst thing to happen to drums from the 60's and early 70's was the 80's!"-clubdate64
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-08-2019, 07:39 AM
JimmySticks JimmySticks is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 285
Default Re: Bass Drum Mounted Cymbals

Thanks for the responses and compliments guys.

I've put the arm in the mount and it seems pretty firm and strong to me. There is an eye bolt inside, which does really seem to help. I'm still waiting on the cymbal, a 20" ride, so we'll see how it all feels when I mount it and start playing, but so far, so good. I do like the hose clamp idea. Yes, I will just have to get used to the position of the cymbal, because your right, there is no moving it around. But being this is my first kit, I should be able to adjust to the position.

I love that bass drum clamp set- up. Looks heavy duty. Ill keep it in mind as I progress.

And I don't see any recording in the near future, but I'll keep the sizzling rivet problem in mind!��
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-08-2019, 05:26 PM
JimmySticks JimmySticks is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 285
Default Re: Bass Drum Mounted Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyacheslav View Post

I would also use an automotive hose clamp on the shaft where it hits the mount. This will not only provide extra security, but it will also provide a de facto memory lock.
So the 20" ride cymbal arrived today, and I put it on.

And yeah, I really had to tighten it up to get it to hold. But even though it is holding, I will be putting on that hose clamp just to make sure it stays and I also don't want to overtighten it. That is such a great, simple idea.

I'm here to learn and I just did, thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Offthewall Offthewall is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: NJ
Posts: 6
Default Re: Bass Drum Mounted Cymbals

I have a 10" splash mounted on my Tom mounts. I like it there but when recording, I have to remove it since it "rings" with every Kick hit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kcymbal.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	126207  
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-09-2019, 06:53 AM
JimmySticks JimmySticks is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Queens NY
Posts: 285
Default Re: Bass Drum Mounted Cymbals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthewall View Post
I have a 10" splash mounted on my Tom mounts. I like it there but when recording, I have to remove it since it "rings" with every Kick hit.
My bass pedal hasn't come yet, maybe today, so I don't know if this will be a problem. But with this set-up, I was actually wondering if the cymbal would ring with every kick of the bass drum. Although it is a 20" ride, so I think it would take a lot to make it ring. Morgatto mentioned that problem in his post.

Hopefully, I'll find out today!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-09-2019, 09:56 AM
blackd blackd is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 177
Default Re: Bass Drum Mounted Cymbals

you can stop the cymbal ringing by replacing the plastic washer/cup with a rubber one, you can get the rubber tube from home depot or any hardware store
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign