Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-02-2019, 09:10 PM
Whatarethese123 Whatarethese123 is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 162
Default Help Identifying a Possible Fibes Snare

Hi y'all. I got this snare and am looking for more information on it. The throwoff and lugs and woodiness make me think it could be an Austin-era Fibes, but it has no badge and no other identification. Any chance anyone has more information on this thing?

It's got 10 lugs, and is 14x6.5.

Thanks!



Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-02-2019, 09:23 PM
GAR GAR is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 503
Default Re: Help Identifying a Possible Fibes Snare

Corder? I haven't checked in for a while here, lotsa Fibes stuff going on. ha
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-02-2019, 09:25 PM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 6,297
Default Re: Help Identifying a Possible Fibes Snare

It's an earlier one. I believe it would have a foil stick-on badge. But ya, it's a Fibes and looks all factory to me.
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-02-2019, 09:30 PM
GAR GAR is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 503
Default Re: Help Identifying a Possible Fibes Snare

Cool, SFT & everything
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-02-2019, 10:18 PM
Whatarethese123 Whatarethese123 is offline
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 162
Default Re: Help Identifying a Possible Fibes Snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
It's an earlier one. I believe it would have a foil stick-on badge. But ya, it's a Fibes and looks all factory to me.
Any idea a year range that it could have been made?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-03-2019, 07:58 AM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 6,297
Default Re: Help Identifying a Possible Fibes Snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatarethese123 View Post
Any idea a year range that it could have been made?
This one is 1971, it has all of your trim only it is acrylic. Yours should range from late 60's (?) or from early 70's. Sometimes their is a date stamp inside. Yours should be one of the original Farmingdale NY drums.

Yours should have this badge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	early 70's fibe clear.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	127307  
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-03-2019, 08:00 AM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 6,297
Default Re: Help Identifying a Possible Fibes Snare

They are pricey,...Yours is in great shape and don't sell it for under $500.
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-03-2019, 09:06 AM
Tommyp's Avatar
Tommyp Tommyp is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,293
Default Re: Help Identifying a Possible Fibes Snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddBall View Post
This one is 1971, it has all of your trim only it is acrylic. Yours should range from late 60's (?) or from early 70's. Sometimes their is a date stamp inside. Yours should be one of the original Farmingdale NY drums.

Yours should have this badge.
OB!

Unfortunately, you are quite mistaken on this drum. The drum he has in the pics is either a Corder or Fibes Austin and NOT the ORIGINAL Fibes from either Farmingdale NY or the later Fibes CFMartin ownership. Corder, Darwin, and Fibes Austin were producing WOOD shells. ORIGINAL Bob Grauso Fibes NEVER offered wood shells ... only fiberglass and acrylic. Also ... ORIGINAL Fibes lugs have a "ridge" on the back of the lug ... later Fibes lugs are flat, no ridge. Also ... the snare adjustment knob on later Corder and Darwin SFT's are small, as this one is. The ORIGINAL Fibes snare tension adjustment knob is quite LARGE. That all said, this is a later build by one of the companies mentioned. ALL my Fibes are Bob Grauso built, and I have a set of EARLY Fibes/CFMartin built as well, both in COF. I don't get too involved with the later stuff as it wasn't ORIGINAL Fibes ... but that doesn't mean they aren't nice drums of course! Just not fiberglass or the acrylic Fibes "Crystalite" which is what the company was originally built on.

Tommyp
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-03-2019, 12:41 PM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 6,297
Default Re: Help Identifying a Possible Fibes Snare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyp View Post
OB!

Unfortunately, you are quite mistaken on this drum. The drum he has in the pics is either a Corder or Fibes Austin and NOT the ORIGINAL Fibes from either Farmingdale NY or the later Fibes CFMartin ownership. Corder, Darwin, and Fibes Austin were producing WOOD shells. ORIGINAL Bob Grauso Fibes NEVER offered wood shells ... only fiberglass and acrylic. Also ... ORIGINAL Fibes lugs have a "ridge" on the back of the lug ... later Fibes lugs are flat, no ridge. Also ... the snare adjustment knob on later Corder and Darwin SFT's are small, as this one is. The ORIGINAL Fibes snare tension adjustment knob is quite LARGE. That all said, this is a later build by one of the companies mentioned. ALL my Fibes are Bob Grauso built, and I have a set of EARLY Fibes/CFMartin built as well, both in COF. I don't get too involved with the later stuff as it wasn't ORIGINAL Fibes ... but that doesn't mean they aren't nice drums of course! Just not fiberglass or the acrylic Fibes "Crystalite" which is what the company was originally built on.

Tommyp
Did I at least get the time frame right ? I thought the yellow fiberglass was the early stuff from late 60's.

Whoops !!
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-03-2019, 12:42 PM
OddBall OddBall is offline
Vintage Drum Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Boston MA.
Posts: 6,297
Default Re: Help Identifying a Possible Fibes Snare

Which badge would it have ?
__________________
It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2009 VSDwebdesign