Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 03-05-2020, 02:18 PM

Default Re: Bop/Jazz Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosLover View Post
I think most round badge kits are purchased by collectors, although some people do gig with them. I certainly would never consider dragging a $4000 or $5000, close to mint condition, RB set to a gig where I would probably be the only person to appreciate it.
I found a Gretsch round badge progressive jazz set in a pawn shop in Alamogordo, NM. It was in rough shape, but cleaned up well and now it is my gigging kit most of the time. Who knows what it is worth; prices have gone down on these sets since Steve Maxwell wrote an article about them being in the $6000 price range some ten years ago. Regardless, I like it, it sounds good, and I play it whenever I play out. I may be in the minority, but why have a kit you're afraid to play out?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9Jun2019silverhoops3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	130080  
Old 03-05-2020, 02:39 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I was asked to fill in for a band practice recently due to the drummer being out sick. Knowing it was a small space, I took my Jazzette. They sounded great and didnít take a lot of space.
This past October, I played a large car show with a covered stage. I took my Camcoís to fit in with the retro vibe you get at car shows.
If I have the right opportunity to play any of my collection, I donít hesitate.
Isnít that what instruments are for anyway?
1966 Ludwig Downbeat Burgundy Sparkle
1966 Rogers BR Headliner, Factory Original
1969 Ludwig BB Blue Oyster Keystone Clubdate
Early 60's Camco Champagne Sparkle
Snare Drums
A huge pile of 'em! Several rare and one offs!
Old 03-05-2020, 02:49 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Drummer View Post
I found a Gretsch round badge progressive jazz set in a pawn shop in Alamogordo, NM. It was in rough shape, but cleaned up well and now it is my gigging kit most of the time. Who knows what it is worth; prices have gone down on these sets since Steve Maxwell wrote an article about them being in the $6000 price range some ten years ago. Regardless, I like it, it sounds good, and I play it whenever I play out. I may be in the minority, but why have a kit you're afraid to play out?
As I said, I believe many sets are owned by collectors and are not used on gigs. If your kit has been in near mint condition and it had cost you $4k to $5k you might be a little more reluctant to take it out to gig regularly.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosLover View Post
As I said, I believe many sets are owned by collectors and are not used on gigs. If your kit has been in near mint condition and it had cost you $4k to $5k you might be a little more reluctant to take it out to gig regularly.
I don't agree. It is in near mint condition after replacing a few broken parts and cleaning it up, and conservatively worth $3000-$4500, but you are right I didn't pay collector's prices for it so maybe it affects my outlook on playing it.

I sold a Rogers holiday set a decade ago with a matching maple dynasonic near the top of the market. It was the only set I owned or played for 30 years. The buyer paid close to $7000 for the set, but if I had kept it, I still would have played it for every gig played. Like I said, my attitude is, if you own it, play it. Same reason collectors of Stradavari and Rhonheimer made violins lend them to world class players: they were meant to be played!
Old 03-05-2020, 06:27 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Would you take this kit out
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	59F503CC-F887-4783-BB3A-F433AE582843.jpeg
Views:	16
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	130081  

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

I happily take my vintage gear out to gig, I want to PLAY it. I don't have any flawless museum pieces and don't care about that kind of thing. I just take care of it and never keep it in the car overnight.
Old 03-06-2020, 09:39 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

"Who knows what it is worth; prices have gone down on these sets since Steve Maxwell wrote an article about them being in the $6000 price range some ten years ago".

I find this statement to be very funny. Now, Steve Maxwell is being blamed. This statement accuses him of being responsible for the downturn in vintage Gretsch drum prices just like someone in politics or business blames all negative things on the former chief executive.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:07 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedybdp View Post
"Who knows what it is worth; prices have gone down on these sets since Steve Maxwell wrote an article about them being in the $6000 price range some ten years ago".

I find this statement to be very funny. Now, Steve Maxwell is being blamed. This statement accuses him of being responsible for the downturn in vintage Gretsch drum prices just like someone in politics or business blames all negative things on the former chief executive.
I didn't read it the same way you did. I don't believe he was blaming Steve Maxwell for anything. I could be wrong of course, but I think he intended the statement as merely a general reference point on the timeline where he believes prices were at their highest and after which started to decline.

The cause was probably a result of the general economic slowdown. The same thing happened to the skyrocketing prices of old Istanbul Ks prior to the recession.

Last edited by BosLover; 03-06-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Haha; I first read it like LeedyBDP, but then re-read it as bosLover understood it....marko
Old 03-06-2020, 11:53 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'm starting to take my vintage sets out more now. I would have always done so but it was just easy to use my classic maple set as it looks and sounds great. Obviously the occasion has to warrant it but I'm doing a Carole King tribute show next week with two rehearsals and 4 shows. We are doing the entire Tapestry album and I'm bringing my full 1971 citrus mod set. I can't wait.

Last edited by wflkurt; 03-06-2020 at 11:58 AM.