Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Non-USA drums

Old 06-02-2020, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Default Re: Sonor Teardrop 2

Love that "TV" wrap, great set. I think that finish was discontinued right as they switched to 6 ply. There may be orphan drums with 6 ply in some transition sets because that's usually how it went, but every one I've seen was a 3 ply 20/13/16 set with the tom mount slightly left on the BD and the large mallet logo instead of the silver rectangle badge, usually tell tale signs of an older 3 ply set.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_M View Post
Love that "TV" wrap, great set. I think that finish was discontinued right as they switched to 6 ply. There may be orphan drums with 6 ply in some transition sets because that's usually how it went, but every one I've seen was a 3 ply 20/13/16 set with the tom mount slightly left on the BD and the large mallet logo instead of the silver rectangle badge, usually tell tale signs of an older 3 ply set.
See my ca 1958 teardrop kit (picture in the original thread about johnnyringo's kit) for a really old version with center tom mount and script logo with that wrap.

/Magnus
Old 06-03-2020, 06:37 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Thanks, ya they look way cool and they sound fantastic.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:27 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I,d love to own that kit!..Sonor rules imo, and I believe the small tom is likely an 8, not a 9"...could be wrong....enjoy that kit!
Old 06-04-2020, 01:20 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne View Post
I,d love to own that kit!..Sonor rules imo, and I believe the small tom is likely an 8, not a 9"...could be wrong....enjoy that kit!
The tom is a 13, not sure if they even made a 12 for these kits.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:54 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Yup; 13 was most common but I am referring to the depth. American 13,s were 9", but British and German were 8". At least mine is...If you sell the kit, let me know, its one I,d bend the rules a little for.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:47 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
The tom is a 13, not sure if they even made a 12 for these kits.
12 1/2 X 10 1/4 with your badge, 13 X 8 with square badge after 1965 SONOR had an American market so they matched sizes.

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i