Vintage Drum Forum the best vintage drum forum on the Internet - Vintage Drum History - Vintage Drum Questions

Go Back   Vintage Drum Forum > Vintage Drums

Old 09-17-2019, 04:35 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Default Re: Vintage Ludwig 3-ply, 12x18 Bop!

If that mahogany kit was mine, then it wouldn't leave me for a penny less than 10K....don't care what the "fair market value" is or not! That kit is just drop-dead gorgeous....nicest looking mahogany "Jazzette" I've ever seen....It's always something, though....It actually doesn't quite tick all the boxes -as far as proper Jazzettes go....close, but not quite...Ideally, it should have the matching Supra -even though the Downbeat, in and of itself, is a more desirable drum -and certainly compliments the shell pack of this custom-ordered kit. Of course, anyone could easily find a 1967 Supra and bring it a notch closer...but the matching Supra, along with the proper hardware package and cymbals would make it a museum-quality example of a mahogany Jazzette. I wish I had one like it, Downbeat and all!

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 09-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenstat View Post

Did you buy it Kevin? Or just save the picture?
Saving the picture is all I could afford

Saw a guy playing a set just like that at an outdoor gig in Champaign, Illinois probably 14-15 years back. We were playing across the park under a different tent but I heard some jazz so I wandered over before we started. It was like 105 degrees that day, only time I ever played a gig in shorts. Anyhow I knew what it was and was quite impressed. It was mahogany finish in somewhat rough shape....still I was lustful. I didn't get a chance to ask him about them. I had to scurry back across the park for my gig and they were long gone afterwards.

Last edited by K.O.; 09-17-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:24 PM
Vintage Drum Guru

I'd (almost) kill for a Thermogloss Maple Jazzette, I'd swoon for a mahogany one too, but I'd even be happy with this little purple number...(other pictures I saved from somewhere along the way).

I suppose you could come reasonably close to recreating a Maple one with Legacy drums and a Maxwell rail. Can't really replicate the look of that aged nitro lacquer though and the lovely patina it accrues with the passage of a few decades. Maybe that "Golden Slumbers" finish if Ludwig still offers it. Sure to be cheaper than the real deal, the keystone badge is back....hmmm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	purple jazzette.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	127576   Click image for larger version

Name:	maple jazzette.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	127577  

Last edited by K.O.; 09-17-2019 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
Wow! You post that and no pictures?!?
I always have trouble posting pictures here. Any tips?
Old 09-18-2019, 03:03 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFBL View Post
Oh to find a 12x18 bass drum in Gold Sparkle!
I have a Jazzette kit in gold sparkle. Somebody replaced the rail mount on the bass drum with a Pearl mount, though. It's a shame, but the plus side is that I was able to afford it that way! 😄 I gig it out all the time...still sounds phenomenal!

The point is, at least ONE 12x18 3-ply gold sparkle bass drum exists! I wish you luck in your search, and hope you find one in original condition!
Old 09-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

For the longest time....back near the turn of the millennium, I started looking for Jazzette kits to be used in a studio where I worked a lot. I couldn't find a single one that didn't have some kind of issues. Then, as the internet collecting thing grew, a few of them started to appear. It was either a case where people who had nice ones didn't want to let them go....Or, that the nice ones that were for sale, were commanding exceptionally high prices.

The irony is that I probably could have found a Gretsch bop kit for all the effort I spent looking for a Ludwig Jazzette! And now, a Gretsch bop kit in nice shape is off the charts expensive and nearly impossible to find. I'm talking nice round badge ones that aren't all hacked up.

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Old 09-18-2019, 10:15 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-Lugs View Post
If that mahogany kit was mine, then it wouldn't leave me for a penny less than 10K....don't care what the "fair market value" is or not! That kit is just drop-dead gorgeous....nicest looking mahogany "Jazzette" I've ever seen....It's always something, though....It actually doesn't quite tick all the boxes -as far as proper Jazzettes go....close, but not quite...Ideally, it should have the matching Supra -even though the Downbeat, in and of itself, is a more desirable drum -and certainly compliments the shell pack of this custom-ordered kit. Of course, anyone could easily find a 1967 Supra and bring it a notch closer...but the matching Supra, along with the proper hardware package and cymbals would make it a museum-quality example of a mahogany Jazzette. I wish I had one like it, Downbeat and all!
I had a nice mahogany JAzzette set..no snare..no extra holes etc..listed on eBay..maybe 15-20 years ago..only went for around $950..I recall!
Old 09-18-2019, 10:19 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Another time..I found a 12 by 18 BD...with a double Tom mount on bass (factory)...with a 3 by 13 snare coming off of it..Cant remember the model name of those 2 drums!..I sold the BD separate..I remember..Luther Grey Bought it...
Old 09-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blairndrums View Post
Another time..I found a 12 by 18 BD...with a double Tom mount on bass (factory)...with a 3 by 13 snare coming off of it..Cant remember the model name of those 2 drums!..I sold the BD separate..I remember..Luther Grey Bought it...
That's the Gold Coast model. Here is the catalog shot. And a real one that Bill Maley also sold.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gold coast.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	127596   Click image for larger version

Name:	gold coast burgandy.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	127597  
Old 09-18-2019, 11:36 AM
Vintage Drum Guru

Thanks,Mike..I found the set in a Vintage Guitar magazine..years ago...Those guitar guys didn’t know what they had back then!...I bought a WMP Dyna out of there too..$100!..But,had a bunch of shellac glopped on the inside...I got $700 for it though..so..not bad....