Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Zoomatic tensio

Hi everyone. I have recently purchased a mid 70s Slingerland artist model snare. I am very pleased with the sound and feel of the drum however I have problems with snare wire tension. The tension is fine when I'm playing quieter stuff like jazz say, but when I play anything which requires a big back beat, I find myself gradually having to increase the tension until eventually the strainer is turned up as far as it will go, and the tension. It seems when I play hard, the snare wires just loosen - I think the tab must be stretching? I notice that relative to a lot of modern strainers, the zoomatic doesn't have that much adjustment room. I had the same problem with the rapid strainer on my Hollywood ace model snare before I replaced it with the P-85 strainer which has a lot more adjustment space, and although I do loose quite a lot of tension when I reinstall the snare wires, there is so much tension adjustment space, everything is ok once some tension has been lost.

My question is then, does anyone have any tips for setting up the snare wires on a zoomatic, and 2 does anyone know of a modern strainer with more adjustment that will fit the holes?

Thanks

Chris

Posted on 12 years ago

Maybe fix it with a spring?

http://vintagedrumguide.com/zoomatic_strainer_repair.html

I bought an 80's version off of ebay and it works great. I thought it was older. The newer one is made stronger.

Posted on 12 years ago

I wouldn't replace the Zoomatic, they are good strainers. I would first, carefully re-examine how you set up the wires. (try non-stretchable string instead of plastic tabs. Check to see if your tightening knob is loosening for some reason). I've had many Slingerlands w/ Zoomatic strainers, & never had a problem. Good Luck

Posted on 12 years ago

Yes.. the mod with a spring worked for me... Give it a try before you start drilling holes etc.. I used a suspension spring from an old "Dual" turntable..

I just cut it down to suit..

Cheers

'77 Slingerland 51N,Super Rock 24,18,14,13.. COW 8,10 Concert toms
'69 Slingerland Hollywood Ace
'75 Rogers Dynasonic 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'77-78 Slingerland 6.5 x 14, 10 lug COB
'78-79 Slingerland 5 1/4 x14 8 lug COB
'79 Biman 5 1/4, Acrolite
'82 Slingerland 5 1/4 x 14. Festival COS
'84 Tama MasterCraft Superstar 6.5 x 14, 10 lug Rosewood
'98 Slingerland (Music YO) 6" 10 Lug Maple.. NOS
Zildjian, Sabian , UFIP & Paiste mix.
Posted on 12 years ago

Ok thanks guys, I'll give the spring a shot!

Posted on 12 years ago

What type of wires are you using and how do you have them set up? I recently installed the proper wires on a Leedy I have with a zoomatic on it(Slinger/Leedy) and it works great and stays put! Does this snare have the extended butt?

Posted on 12 years ago

Yes it does. As a matter of fact I have the puresound zoomatic extended snare wires, which I have been very impressed with whilst everything was working (although they were very tricky to put on the first time!)

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here