Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Zoomatic repair

I have a Gene Krupa Sound King on the way with no tension knob on the Zoomatic.... I visited JP2 Creations online, and they can do the repair. If Jim Petty is a member of this Forum, or a member is a close friend, I mean no offense when I ask if this company would be a good choice for this repair? And could I get a couple of options so I could compare pricing?? Thanks, all ....

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Jim is a good guy. I would suggest that when you speak to him (use the phone, not e-mail) you get a firm commitment on a time frame. His stuff is good, but he tends to let things slide badly, timing-wise.

If all it needs is the knob, I am not sure you need to have someone else do the work, though. You just need to get a knob, don't you ? Or are there other issues. [/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Jaye, that's where my knowledge is short. On the website, it states you must send in your throw to have one of their repro knobs installed, so I assumed the knob doesn't just screw in, that it's pressed back in like a grommet or something? I'm clueless about this ... help!! DOHDOH

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Kevins did you check out the "Fix a Zoomatic" method under "Restoration and Help" above on this site?? Might work for you while you look for a working Zoomer to put on the drum.

Just an idea.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

Yep, thanks Jim, it's under construction right now, I'll look again when it's back up, but I think it dealt with a broken part inside, and replacing it with a washer and adding a spring ... more of a throw lever thing .... but I'll definitely look again, and thanks very much for your reply!!! So, at least, I'm looking for a tension knob. I read in the Slingerland section of the Drum Guide that there are some differences throughout the Zoomatic history in the knobs, so I won't know exactly which one I'll be needing. The drum is at the Post Office right now, so I'll know more Monday. Thanks again!!!

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Oh yeah missing knob... sorry didn't read closely enough. Hey I think I have one of those in a box of odd parts I bought a while back.

I'll take a look after the World Cup Qualifier is over.. USA USA USA!!

Posted on 15 years ago

You da man, Jim!!! Thanks, Kevin

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

Well I dug it out of my loose parts box ... knob is a good match next to my old Sound King but closer examination would indicate that it is probably not really a Zoomatic knob.

However it would probably work great for the repair method under "fix a zoomatic". The knob is dimensionly identical.

If you are interested PM me.

I to have purchased some stuff from Jim Petty... Jaye's advice is exactly correct.

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the effort, Jim, it's much appreciated... How did the USA do in the Qualifier??

Kevin
Posted on 15 years ago

From Jaye

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Jim is a good guy. I would suggest that when you speak to him (use the phone, not e-mail) you get a firm commitment on a time frame. His stuff is good, but he tends to let things slide badly, timing-wise.If all it needs is the knob, I am not sure you need to have someone else do the work, though. You just need to get a knob, don't you ? Or are there other issues. [/COLOR]

I'll agree with you there on the letting things slack issues with JP. I dealt with him last year on some dynasonic parts for a resto I was doing.....took forever to get the things too....and they were original parts not repros! If you deal with him, use the phone and keep on top of him if you're in a hurry for the stuff.....

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here