Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

Zoomatic Repair

I've got this 60's slingerland snare that the zoomatic strainer broke on. I took it apart and found one of the rivets on the pivot point inside broke off.

is there a place to get something similar to put back in place of the rivet? it looks like they peened over the end of the original pin/rivet piece.

Also i have another zoomatic that i can use for parts. I dont wanna use the whole strainer because the chrome is badly pitted and the knob is missing.

To get the moving parts out of the broken zoomatic, i need to get the knob off of the reverse thread screw part, right? whats the best way to remove that knob without damaging anything?

also with all the other slingerland parts i have im thinking of building a piccolo snare. (i found a vintage 13x4 shell with no holes drilled in it)

I think i'll use staggered tom lugs, this is how slingerland did their piccolo drums anyway, isnt it? i have a box full of tom lugs so i figure why not use them. did the 13" snares use 6 lug hoops or 8 lug? 8 lugs would seem kinda tight and probably leave me with no room for a throwoff

2 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

http://www.jcwhitney.com/DELUXE-HAND-RIVET-GUN-KIT/GP_2008062_N_111+10201+600017445_10101.jcw

Maybe you can just pull another rivet in it.. you might want to hit the local hardware with parts in hand to make sure you can get a rivet that will fit.

OR... stop by any HVAC shop and their sheet metal guys can probably hook you up on the spot.

Not sure on the other stuff but it sounds like you have some fun ahead of you.

Best of luck..

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 15 years ago

bbeyer!...

Just saw your post here... and actually, Slingerland's "piccolo" snare drum was in fact 4X14, not 4X13. It was the Buddy Rich model snare drum and featured 16 lugs, 8 on top, 8 on the bottom, side by side. I have two in my Buddy Rich snare drum collection, both the WMP and COW models. Anyway...

There would be problems with a 13" drum as you have mentioned. You would indeed not have room for the throw with that lug configuration. But!... a standard 6 lug layout would work fine, and for the most part, 13" drums usually only have 6 lugs, and for the very reason you mention!!

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

bbeyer,

I built a 4x13 Piccolo to go with my Slingerland sets. I was going to do the staggered lugs like Slingerland did but after measuring and realizing it would be an awful lot of hardware to screw onto a small shell I went with EGO round lugs and a Drum Foundry Piccolo strainer. Drum sounds great and doesn't look out of place behind Slingerlands.

REgards

Dons

1 attachments
Posted on 15 years ago

Given a couple of weeks of patience, you can probably land a partial Zoomatic on eBay which will have the functioning parts you need without having to worry about a rebuild. I know...not as much fun as doing it yourself...Mallet Player2

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here