Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Zoomatic rebuild ideas

Like most everyone with the Slingerland drum addiction, I've encountered some pretty broken down .

On one, I used the Zoomatic rebuild guide from David, with a spring and washer.

Lately, I encountered one tat was in good working condition, except that the adjusting bolt itself was bent pretty badly. I tried a couple of times to straighten it without success (I haven't given up yet).

The trouble is that the knob is press fit, and that the screw has a left hand thread. I was stumped. Then the idea... pop the knob loose, and then use a tap to rethread the receiving bolt on the shell, to accept the norm RH threads.

Got a #10, 32 pitch bolt. Used JB weld, put a dab in the hole and fixed the bolt into the knob -- the bolt is just a hair smaller than the original. When the was set up, I used a little Goop around the base for extra support. Not the most elegant solution, for sure!! But it's an experiment...

So, then used the washer and spring idea from David, and...it works fine. The only difference is that the knob is turned counterclockwise to tighten. Im trying to avoid over-tightening by using a DW 3 position butt plate, which fits with no extra drilling.

How's it working out?? Some test driving required, but works fine on the bench! It may not be a perfect fix, for sure, but it's better than a Zoomatic that's kind of a paperweight! I am on the lookout for LH bolts and tap. I really didn't search the internet....

Posted on 12 years ago

Some pics would be cool maybe? I have a SK with a Zoom that's in nice working order so I haven't dabbled much in this....yet. I know there's left handed all thread and bolts you can buy. Taps too. That might have been a solution. But sounds like your fix took care of the problem. And saved the hassle and expense of buying new taps, all thread and the likes.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Didn't take any pics on the way in... you're right, it could have been helpful.

Also right about the LH threaded taps. I called around, and hardware stores nearby didn't have them. I'm sure I could find them online.

I make try again to straighten the original piece. If I can protect the thread by threading some nuts onto it, then put it in the vise, I'll probably give it a shot. Added to the list!!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here