Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Zoomatic Knob.

Hello,

I have a Krupa COB snare with zoomatic strainer. I recentley fixed the strainer itself with the spring method outlined on this site. However, I'm now having a problem with the knob itself. It won't tighten the snare wires and it doesn't seem to be stripped as it does screw in and out, just doesn't tighten. Also, the knob is missing from the screw. Can anyone give any help or advice? I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything pertaining to the problem of the actual screw not able to tighten the snare wires. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Chris

Posted on 14 years ago

If someone can't answer the specific question can someone please direct me to someone that can? I'd really appreciate it, thanks!

Posted on 14 years ago

If you can post a photo of what you have of the strainer theirs a few ways on fixing this...Mikey

Posted on 14 years ago
Posted on 14 years ago

From Cdonn

...it does screw in and out, just doesn't tighten.

I'm having a hard time visualizing that. If the screw moves in and out, it moves the body of the strainer in and out. How can it not tighten?

When someone describes a Zoomatic not tightening, my first suspicion is a stripped shell nut. The shell nut is the part that the adjustment knob shaft screws into. If it's stripped, there will be some slippage and the Zoomatic can seem like you can keep turning and turning the knob without it getting tight.

To see a shell nut (and possibly order one if need be), you can go to jp2creations.com, click on Parts in the left column, and select the Slingerland Zoomatic strainer on the right.

Another possible problem is separation of the pressure-fitted washer from the shaft. But if you've already looked into the spring fix, you've probably checked that.

From Cdonn

Also, the knob is missing from the screw. Can anyone give any help or advice?

Jim Petty sells replacement knobs through the same jp2creations.com web site I mentioned above and he'll press the knob onto the shaft for you. The site doesn't have a price listed, but I'd guess it's more than a few bucks.

If you've got problems with the shaft and/or shell nut and you're missing a knob, the most cost-effective answer might be to find a replacement Zoomatic or at least a parts donor.

Posted on 14 years ago

It's $100 for a knob re-fitting... but he guarantees the repair to last.

You have to ship the entire strainer to him also, of course.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

From kevins

It's $100 for a knob re-fitting... but he guarantees the repair to last.You have to ship the entire strainer to him also, of course.

Might not be a bad idea if he has a guarantee. You could find another complete zoomatic for cheaper than that price, but whos to say that one wont end up with the same problem down the line. I've personally never had any problems with the 3 zoomatics that I've owned, but the knob seems to be a very common problem. A 1 time fix with a guarantee might be a smart play.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

I've already done the spring fix and that worked out great.

I tighten it and loosen it and it seems to go in and out of the shell nut fine, but there must be a strip somewhere or a part missing or something. I've had this snare drum for a long time, but I've only really got into trying to fix it up lately. So, it's very possible something is missing. I'll have a look at the site you suggested and see what I can find. I definitely need a new knob anyhow and I'm willing to pay the money if it's a permanent fix. I'm eager to get this snare off the ground and playable.

How's the availability of zoomatics on ebay?

Posted on 14 years ago

From Cdonn

How's the availability of zoomatics on ebay?

They're not rare. I haven't been looking for one, but I think I see a couple of them every few weeks. This one's listed there now. You can also find 'em on donor drums, even marching snares.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here