Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Zim-Gar Bongo's M.I.J....No Mexico

It's a new one to me..Zim-Gar drums made in Mexico....Not M.I.J....Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

Amazing! Nothing would surprise me though (well, maybe this!). I've been going to Mexico at least once a year for twenty-five years. Discovering hidden little music shops on remote side streets is always very interesting. I've seen complete Ludwig sets in great shape and kits that the store owner had no idea where they were made. A couple of years ago, my wife bought me some sticks that were painted red and green in honour of the Mexican flag for my birthday. The shop owner had assured her that they were made in Mexico. They may have been painted in Mexico but, in very small letters, they were stamped "Made in China". It seems that China and Korea are major trading partners and have been in the country far longer than in North America. Many of the cars and trucks are Chinese and Korean as well. I've even seen motorcycles with Mexican insignias that were made in China. These bongos are a first though. I'd love to hear their story, Mikey.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

This is quite the puzzle. I can't seem to let this be. How long has outsourcing been going on between Japan and various other countries in the music business? The badge, complete with maracas, does not read "Hecho en Mexico". Hmm....I guess that doesn't matter much. "Made in Japan" was printed in English too. The skins look good .Plastic strips holding them in place. The botom rims look like my Star bongo rims. Held on the shell by a few tacks. Still thinking. Outsourcing to Mexico? When? I really can't see that the market would be worth it. Yeah, Mexico is a percussion loving country but, we all know that pesos rule the world. A Japan-Mexico connection? Ahhhhh.......

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Wow, decades before NAFTA even.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here