Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Zildjian cymbal restoration

I also posted this under Vintage Drum Forum:

I plan to bring my Zildjian's up to playing condition. In 1981, I bought all new: 21" (Large bell) Rock Ride, 14" New Beat Hi-hat set, 18" Swish, 18" Light crash, & 16" Med/Thin Suspended crash.

After very little playing time since new, these sat in storage for about 35 years. This resulted in surface haze, a little corrosion from moisture drops (green, brown, and some black spots), and old fingerprints becoming prominent on the surfaces.

I am using an old bottle of Zildjian cymbal cleaner, and have found that the Zildjian ink stampings such as "New Beat Top" will rub right off along with all the haze and other oxidation.

From paste experience I know that the final result will look like a brilliant, but slightly off-color appearance from a freshly made cymbal. So my question is that for either playing or re-selling is this "cleaned" appearance desirable, and is there any advantage in attempting to keep the original patina and stampings on a complete side of the cymbal (usually the underneath side)?

Posted on 7 years ago

I think I would want to have the ink stampings intact. The zildjian website has advice for cleaning. Some don't like a cleaned cymbal but green, brown, and black spots would be undisireable. Maybe you could just clean up the spots.

Posted on 7 years ago

Getting those marks off your cymbal can be tough, though not impossible! Really depends on how much effort you're willing to put in. Depending on how much you love these cymbals, in addition to any sentimental value they may hold, you might also consider the services of a professional. Check out this link... http://www.nashville.losangelesdrumservices.com/cymbal-services

Good luck!

-Mark

Posted on 7 years ago

I would never clean old Zildjians....To each his own...

Keep fixing them up...
Posted on 7 years ago

I worked on my top hi-hat first. It came out very nice, and now I am the only one who knows where the worst corrosion spots were, there is only a ghost trace left. The "NEW BEAT" ink stamping was already beginning to fade, so now that it is totally gone- no problem.

The top side had to be totally polished and blended. At least that cymbal will not corrode and become worthless. Bear in mind that I have not buffed it, just wiped the oxidation, fingerprints, and spots out. I have not yet done the bottom side that has the large Zildjian name ink stamped on it. It has toned to a nice medium gold color, but I should really get the 35 year old fingerprints and moisture spots off, but try to leave the logo stamp alone.

Next I will do the ride cymbal which has a lot of stick marks and fingerprints on it. I can still see the original luster of the cymbal but underneath all the spots, etc. It should come out nice.

Posted on 7 years ago

[QUOTE=idrum4fun;403840]Getting those marks off your cymbal can be tough, though not impossible! Really depends on how much effort you're willing to put in. Depending on how much you love these cymbals, in addition to any sentimental value they may hold, you might also consider the services of a professional. Check out this link... http://www.nashville.losangelesdrumservices.com/cymbal-services

Wow, Thanks, this may be worth the money to have them all done at one time.

Posted on 7 years ago

I am 50/50 about leaving them alone or cleaning them-when I have polished about half of the 23 that I own, I have had great luck with the Nomad cymbal cleaner-does a great job, leaves the logos intact-I still go lightly with the polish on the logos just to be safem but they do come out great once the elbow grease is applied and sometimes I take a light buffer to them

1967 Ludwig Psychedelic Red Downbeat Kit (all original)w/14 in floor tom
Noble and Cooley Walnut snare
Noble and Cooley Horizon 6 piece kit in blue sparkle
2002 Noble and Cooley 4 piece Studio Classic in natural maple
Nov 3 1967 Ludwig chrome Supraphonic
1990s Pearl Session Custom in Amber fade
20 Zildjians
1984 Tama Superstar Bell Brass Snare
Noble and Cooley natural cherry snare
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here