Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Your Vintage Slingerland Chrome, How Good Was It?

I have started my restoration project. The first thing I have noticed is a mind-blower to me. The chrome on my 20 inch floor tom rims has a see-through quality. I can see through the chrome to the brass metal underneath the chrome. I have to get right down on the rim, maybe 8 inches away, but I can see through the chrome layer. Of course, when the chrome is polished, this see-through quality is less noticeable. It looks like to me perhaps shortcuts were taken in the chroming process. My question is...did Slingerlands have a bad chrome issue in the middle sixties or is this see-through issue normal for drums of that era? The issue is not a matter of too much polishing because these rims have not been polished more than two or three times times since the rims were made in 1965.

Posted on 16 years ago

Quoted post

I have started my restoration project. The first thing I have noticed is a mind-blower to me. The chrome on my 20 inch floor tom rims has a see-through quality. I can see through the chrome to the brass metal underneath the chrome. I have to get right down on the rim, maybe 8 inches away, but I can see through the chrome layer. Of course, when the chrome is polished, this see-through quality is less noticeable. It looks like to me perhaps shortcuts were taken in the chroming process. My question is...did Slingerlands have a bad chrome issue in the middle sixties or is this see-through issue normal for drums of that era? The issue is not a matter of too much polishing because these rims have not been polished more than two or three times times since the rims were made in 1965.

I have taken apart alot of vintage slingerland drums, most of them were bought from someone who mistreated them for years and never cleaned them. I have to say though that of all the american drum companies (i cant speak for rogers though, i've never had a rogers kit) slingerland had the best chrome. ive had crappy ludwig parts, even worse gretsch parts, but almost every slingerland drum has impressed me when it comes to the chrome plating. as far as your tom hoop goes, maybe it was just a mistake, a blem that didnt get noticed before being sold?

Posted on 16 years ago

Thank you for the response. Look at the other chrome pieces, I do not see this kind of blemish on them. Thank you again.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here