Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Your opinion would be appreciated...

Greetings All!

So I am sitting here wondering if my old Ludwig drum set is worth anything. I've been carting it around for years and bought them used around 1971. Haven't played it in ages.

They appear to be a Ludwig Hollywood set in Silver Sparkle with keystone badges. There is a date stamp in the bass drum that clearly reads Mar 23, 196Mrphh...Damn. I think it's a 2.

Silver sparkle with two 12x8 toms on a bass mounted holder with clip mounts. A 16x16 floor tom with legs that angle out then down again at the ends.

It has Zildjians. 22" Ride, 18" and 16" splash and 14" New Beat hi-hat.

The hi-hat is a flat-based spur-lock but the top tube is not the original. Also have a pre-Ludwig Ghost bass pedal.

Now the interesting part. The snare appears to be a COB Super Sensitive 5x14. I had no idea. The snare wires are all wrong but it still sounded great to me. It's a regular old wire set tied to the throw down with string. Came that way and I never changed it. It's amazing how we survived at all back then with no internet...

So, is this stuff worth anything? The kit is not in the best of shape. The silver sparkle finish has come unglued and needs to be redone or repaired. They all have only one drum head and are open bottom and I don't have the rims any longer. The snare is is good shape, just needs some a new snare wire set and some cleanup.

Is it worth it to restore the kit? What would you folks do? Your opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim

Posted on 16 years ago

Well.. kind of depends on what you want. It sounds like a really beautiful vintage set of drums that should be kept together and restored.

That work is not rocket science but it does require some patience, space, time, money, knowledge, tools... and a great drum forum.Yes Sir

These are the two project I have done in the last 12-15 months.

I found it very rewarding... now I'm learning to playKeep on Pl

If you don't want to mess with it, and you want a kit you can play now, you could probably sell that kit and get a real good start toward a new one.

I, of course would love to have a kit like that to work.

Value-wise to sell... the Ludwig guys on here might chime in or just browse ebay for awhile and you'll have real good idea. Search completed items and for sale items to get an idea of what stuff really ends up going for.

Best of luck!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

I'd like to see some pics of it as well.

If you went for the second option of getting rid of it and getting a newer playable set, I might be interested as I am looking to sell/trade my 2005 Mapex set for a vintage Ludwig. I am hoping to do that however on a kit that doesn't need a ton of work to get playable, but your's seems worth a look...

Posted on 16 years ago

It depends on how much of a fixer-upper you are. A good, detailed cleaning and re-gluing a lifted seam on the wrap is one thing, but if, as you have stated, the bottom heads and rims have been off the drums for a long time, there is a good chance the bottom bearing edges will be dinged/dented.etc. and a restoration may be more involved than you might want to take on yourself.:2Cents:

Pictures are really essential.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks for the input!

I guess I am really only interested in selling them. I don't see myself playing again.

I'd say I'm an advanced-type fixer upper, but you're right O-Lugs, the edges are a little banged up. I took the heads off mainly so I could stack them inside of each other. I used to play a lot and that made it easier to carry them around. Could also fit them in the car trunk that way. They do have some miles on them

I'd have to find tension rods, tom rims, bass hoop,clamps, etc.

However, it looks like there's a few bucks to be made by restoring them provided you can find a buyer. Are they worth as much if you re-wrap as they are with the original wrap?

I'll see what I can do about getting some photos posted.

Thanks again!

Posted on 16 years ago

Wisdom seems to be don't re-wrap if you intend to sell.

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 16 years ago

If you want to sell, leave them alone, except for maybe a light wipe down. "Vintage" guys would usually like to to the cleanup or restoration themselves...if you're not familiar with vintage values, you may do more harm than good (like rewrapping!).

I'd sell the Ludwig set...the 2 12s, the bass and floor tom as one set, the snare separately...it may or may not be brass, if it has a serial # on the badge it ain't...and the cymbals separately. You'll get the most value that way.

Unless you want to move them fast, in which case you have a nice package that many of us would buy.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here