Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 123.24843%

Your forever-keeper drum set

I have downsized my vintage drum set collection down to my forever-keeper drum set. I chose to keep my 1963 Black Diamond Pearl Leedy Shelly Manne set forever. The drums measure 14x20, 16x16, 9x13, and matching 5x14 snare drum. I also kept hi-hat cymbals and a half dozen vintage A Zildjians of various sizes and types. I kept enough vintage pedals, stands, and other go-withs so that I have back-ups for each component. My Ludwig bongos are re-fitted with Leedy lugs that dropped right into the original Ludwig lug mounting holes. Let's see and read the detail of your ONE forever-keeper drum set.

add on text and picture...I decided that I like the monogrammed Fibreskin head look and logo more for this forever-keeper drum set. So, I ordered a replica Leedy logo to apply to the head. I think that it looks classier and more period-correct than the head in the picture of the full set. Waddaya think?

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 1 year ago

I've only owned one drum set in my life, so that kit will certainly be my 'keeper' set.

I bought the 'previously owned' set in the late 70's and added a few items in the first few years of owning it. It did go into storage mode when I had to join the work-a-day world for 30+ years. After retiring a few years ago I rented a nearby (walkable distance) rehearsal space and broke the kit out and started practicing again.

It started out as a JHB configuration (26", 18" 16" 14") in black Cortex. The seller also had a set of concert/melodic toms in 6", 8", 10", 12", 13" 14" 15", 16" toms, so I bought those as well, 'cause more is better right!!! Within a short time of aquiring the setm I added another 26" (virgin) bass, and 12" + 13" double-headed toms and settled on a 2x26", 18", 16" 13", 12" configuration. Shortsightly, I sold the 6", 8", 10", 12" and only have the large set of 4 concert toms. I have a set of Paiste 2002's I accumulated over the first few years of owning the kit, which are a mix of black and red stamps: 14" S.E., 18", 20" Crash; 16", 18", 20" Medium, 22" Ride, 22" China Type; plus a pair of 602 Extra Heavy HH's and a 8" Rude splash.

1 attachments
Posted on 1 year ago

I would be lost behind such a large drum set. I applaud you for being able to play them.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 1 year ago

My Forever Kit is these Ludwig Standards I just bought a couple of weeks ago. 20 14 12 in Silver Mist. I had been looking for a silver sparkle Downbeat, but the cost +shipping (I'm in Toronto) plus scarceness...and after awhile of going back to look at the Standards the mist grew on me until I liked it better than the sparkle :)

I added a rail mount and was extremely pleased to discover that a hunch I had was right - Rogers spur plates fit snugly in the existing BD spur holes, with about 15 seconds of light filing to open up the tops. I consider this a massive upgrade as the Ludwig disappearing spurs were not capable of holding the front of the BD off the ground.

It's a little late as I'm now 60, but the forever kit has finally arrived. :)

3 attachments
188.5 kB
195.1 kB
216.3 kB
Posted on 1 year ago

1969 red sparkle Jazzette...just because of everything that evolved to put me in the position of getting it...the stories behind what led up to it...kind of the pinnacle of my collection.

Having said that....the Jazzette is kind of a one trick pony and is more limited in its tuning range.

The most fun kit to play that I own is easily the Arbiter AT kit. But you said only ONE...so it's the Jazzette.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 1 year ago

From DownTownFarmer

I added a rail mount and was extremely pleased to discover that a hunch I had was right - Rogers spur plates fit snugly in the existing BD spur holes, with about 15 seconds of light filing to open up the tops. I consider this a massive upgrade as the Ludwig disappearing spurs were not capable of holding the front of the BD off the ground.

This is great to know, thanks!

John/Levelpebble

Tama Superstar 81 Aqua bop
Rogers Cleveland BDP (x2), Silver bop, Champagne, Black/Gold Duco, WMP, Blue sparkle; Dayton Red Onyx;
Camco Oaklawn 12 14 20 5x14 Tuxedo WMP
LW 59 SC Blue Sparkle, WMP
WFL Gold Sparkle SC, WMP Compacto
Gretsch 49/50 Broadkaster WMP
Fibes Copper Forte
Remo MasterEdge Bop, Gold Crown, Mondo
Slingerland Conway Black Satin
70's MIJ Del Ray, my first and fav ok I'm lying here
Way Too Many Snares, She Says
Posted on 1 year ago

I am seriously considering letting my blue kit go. It's worth more than anything else I own, and it's not getting much use.

I may then add my dream green sparkle round badge Gretsch kit, but certainly in the gap (assuming I do this), the black bop kit will be the keeper.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 1 year ago

That's a tough one...either my late '40's WFL kit or my '60's Oyster Blue Pearl kit.

The WFL kit is 13/16/24 - the 24x14 is just awesome. Plus this kit has a bit more of something in those shells and they just sing and sound big all around.

The Oyster Blue Pearl kit because it's absolutely my favorite wrap of that era. This kit has 13/16 and a 22x12 (New Yorker) pre-serial badge bass drum - it's got some serious sound for it's narrow size. I've also got a matching 5.5x14 WFL Super Classic snare that matches perfectly. The entire kit has no fading as I found out when removing all the lugs to clean it. I haven't found, or seen, an Oyster Blue Pearl kit in this condition since I've owned these. I also haven't seen an Oyster Blue 22x12 bass drum.

The same goes for the WFL snare - I've only seen one 13x9 WFL and one 22x14 WFL in Oyster Blue - both having the same date stamp as my snare. Both the 13 and 22 were faded and pretty beat up with extra holes, etc.

Posted on 1 year ago

From rundrummerrun

That's a tough one...either my late '40's WFL kit or my '60's Oyster Blue Pearl kit.The WFL kit is 13/16/24 - the 24x14 is just awesome. Plus this kit has a bit more of something in those shells and they just sing and sound big all around.The Oyster Blue Pearl kit because it's absolutely my favorite wrap of that era. This kit has 13/16/22x12 pre-serial badge bass drum - it's got some serious sound for it's narrow size. I've also got a matching 5.5x14 WFL Super Classic snare that matches this wrap perfectly.

Wow, that IS a tough one! Both sets are beauties.

Posted on 1 year ago

From levelpebble

This is great to know, thanks!

You're entirely welcome sir. I couldn't wait to share the news with anyone who'd listen! :)

Beautiful drum sets in the thread so far.

Posted on 1 year ago
Action Another action Something else here