Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Your Claim To Fame.

Thought this would be a good thread topic so thought Id ask everyone.

What Music Star (or not such a star) have you played with in the past present or... Come on now play nice and be honest.

My story is My high school Buddy way back when and dude I jammed in band with for several years, is or was untill just recently UNCLE CRACKER Guitarist. He was there guitar roadie fora while then gent left for bigger and better things so my buddy John Carone filled in the spot. I have tons of pics of us back in the day in the band and will try and scan and post them up. he just fly to Australia an did a solo thing.. didnt work out to well I guess, but he played and had fun I asume. h

He is gent to far left in the black muscle t shirt

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3tL5U98JgI"]Here he is here to the far left in the black shirt[/ame]

Heres mee lovely Wifey Hanging Out with Lead singer of Shinedown Brent.

[IMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/945330/GNQWH-Shinedownemily.jpg[/IMG]

And something a little off the beat and path but remember this cat?... Yeppers thats me like 30+ years back hanging with Herv Villachesse wrong spelling but pic is from when I used to live in sunland tujunga California.

[IMG]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-2/945330/cletusstattoo.jpg[/IMG]

Come on now u remember Thee Plain Thee Plain.. i actually crossed paths with herv a few times since he lived right near us in the same town.

Well Thats my story flower .. Whats Yours?

Posted on 14 years ago

Well.....I never actually played with the dude, but he did play my drums once at an open mic nite blues jam long before he was "famous".......and I had to yank him off the kit after the second song as he was practically destroying it! Sully Erna of Godsmack. Sumo Dude He was not asked back.....LoLoLoLo

Posted on 14 years ago

LOL! Well, I've played with quite a few people over the years, but most of them are the underground contingency of jazz players who didn't want to go on the road and chose to stay put and play in their own town(s). But, waaaay back in the mid 80's, I was on tour with a top 40 cover band and we got a pick up gig to back up Dee Dee Warwick -Dionne Warwick's sister. I had no idea what her tunes were or anything, but had to learn them in about 2 days! So, I was shedding them in our hotel room on a "set" made from the bed and the pillows. We did a version of "Suspicious Minds" that had a super fast disco beat -complete with the two-handed hi-hat part!. Long story short, we played the week and then she went on with her tour and met up with another pick up band somewhere else and we went back to our top 40 cover tune tour. I ended up making zero money after all the expenses were paid off -long story.

Other than that, I did a gig with Charlie Rouse (from Monk's old band) once -again, a pick up gig -no idea of the tunes. He was a cool guy. He died a few months later.

I've got a CD from 2007 out there called "Black Hills" (Origin Records) and just had a CD that I produced released called "Apothecary" -also on the Origin label.

Most of the musicians I play with, now re really good -as good as anyone I've heard. They just don't want to tour and travel around. Can't blame them a bit. I'm the same way. I hate the road.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

My most famous friend is cartoonist Gary Larson. He lives just a few miles away from me and we used to have regular jam sessions (He plays guitar).

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 14 years ago

Cool thread. I've played with/for Chico Chisum, Howlin' Wolf's last drummer. He became a blues-fixture here in Phoenix, aside from all of the other things he did. Real personable guy. Back in the late 90's, he'd come to some of our gigs and either sing, or sit-in and play. Lots of fun. We lost him on '07.

Also had Robert Mason, singer for George Lynch's Lynch Mob, sing and then play a song on drums with us, back in the late 90's, too. Very talented singer and no slouch on the drums. Another nice guy.

Side Note: In the mid to late 80's, I used to hang out at a rock & roll bar called Sparks, in Huntington, LI. Richie Blackmore used to show up once in a while and just hang out, listening to local talent. I never played with him, but that was the coolest thing; having one of your guitar-Gods, right there at the same joint I frequented. This was just after "Perfect Strangers" was released. That was so cool.

Vintage Drum Fan (Not a Guru)
Posted on 14 years ago

Hmmm let's see uhhhh wellll.... I got nothing. How much does that suck!!

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 14 years ago

No major claims to fame, but I did once play on the same bill as Brann Dailor from Mastodon, back when my old band supported them before they went global. A great drummer to watch live and I seem to remember him hanging out watching the supports, which is nice.

Another odd one was when we supported bay area thrashers Death Angel. Their drum roadie was laughing at my kit and us generally and the tour manager banned us from eating any food! Needless to say, said drum roadie was humbled when he discovered we'd dragged half our fans in to support us, and obviously we made a point of stealing loads of food when DA were on. Band were nice chaps though!

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 14 years ago

I've sold drums and cymbals to some very famous drummers.

Played a wedding gig with Norah Jones before she was famous. She's an incredible jazz pianist, btw, knows tons of standards.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Few more i just remembered. Our band opened up for local big band back in the day... HALLOWEEN. I twas a blast!!! We set up our gear and was literaley 2 feet fom the croud, since bar w as packed for the main act..all the while they were screaming the other two band names... VAGRANT.... HALLOWEEN. After we did our set. We had the croud in the palm of our hands screaming NASTY.. The name of our band. Few days latter the owner of the bar called us and wanted us back to gig again.

Another claim 2 fame ...is The lead singer of Sponge, Vinny... used to be a drummer in a local band before he stepped out in front as the lead singer of sponge. Im thinking the band name was loudhouse but could be wrong since it was so many moons ago, We played with them at a music store promotion / event.

Thats it for now.

Posted on 14 years ago

One that comes to mind is bassist Jeff Castleman and he really gave me confidence with my time. Jeff joined Duke Ellington when he was 19 and had played with everyone I'd ever dreamed of.

Jeff said "how come you're not playing 1/4 notes on your bass drum?" and that was a liberating question 'cause I wanted to but got yelled at when I'd played with old boppers and played four on the floor.

I've had a few greats record in my studio. The funniest, and what a great player was Bill Perkins. He's a west coast legend and he had just finished playing with the Tonight Show band. I remember he liked my $3 headphones and he said that my song sounded like Steely Dan , and added "Ya, I played with them". I asked him what album and he didn't even know. I went and checked and he was on Aja. On Deacon Blues it was Tom Scott, Wayne Shorter and Bill on horns. And Bill didn't even know it, and I swear if you asked him about Deacon Blues he'd have said he never heard of it.

I just finished mixing an original song yesterday for a cop show that features my buddy Mike Lewis on trumpet. Mike has played with everybody, including with the Buddy Rich Big Band for over a year.

But my claim to fame ain't happened yet or you wouldn't be asking.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here