Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

..you know...I'm confused....

I have been just grazin' around C/L in almost every market around the country the past few days and I am finding a rather disturbing, yet funny trend...is it me, or did I miss something in the last year...all of a sudden, Pearl Exports are popping up all over in the 450-1500 (!) range....now I ain't no rocket scientist, not even a scientist at all, unless you consider what we do "percussive science"..but aren't these like the number one over-produced drums on the planet, and aren't they still....crap...?

Now, the last time I looked, they were the same non-descript shells and lugs and junk wrap, but are they now gaining some notariety because they are no longer produced, in which case we should have, according to my calculations, about another 204.639 years of Export stock before there is a danger they will disappear.....can someone show me where the bar is, please? I think I will need a drink after discovering that disturbing trend...

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Ha ha, I bought the Pearl Exports back in 1980, concert toms and all. It was a black 7 piece kit, a no badge chrome 6.5 by 14" snare that had height adjuster knobs on each side, one with throw, other one on butt end. Offered with my choice of hats (Zildjian NewBeats), 2 crashes and a ride ( all hollow stamp logo) for the outrageous price of $1600 at a music store in Chicago..... I knew nothing about good cymbals or drums!.....ouch! I just gave this kit to my son. If he wanted to sell it with a good story, I hope he'd get a good price for it.

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

This economy has brought out all kinds of people who would otherwise (and do now) know nothing about what their drums are worth. They do know a bit about wishful thinking, though!

Posted on 14 years ago

450$ isn't too bad in my opinion but anything over 500 is a simple iq test. To their credit - I owned a great sounding one bought new in 1992, was a fine practice kit. Over 500 there is so much you can choose from!

For info. & live schedule:
www.EricWiegmanndrums.com
*Odery Drums Japan endorser/ representative
*Japan Distributor of Vruk DrumMaster pedals
*D'Addario Japan Evans/Promark/Puresound
*Amedia Cymbals Japan

It's the journey not the destination.
Posted on 14 years ago

I guess the wishful thinking is the better part.....

As for the thought of what they can bring, I guess people are just too stupid to research. Or there research has been limited to looking at C/L and they saw one idiot asking 2000 for his nasty, mismatched crappy "double base" Exports, because he got another one off the curb and set it up as a Peart outfit, that more drums = more money...

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

I'll do you one better. A CB kit listed in our local area. Asking $1000, or trade for good car.Falling Do

Gretsch Catalina Maples - 22,8,10,12,16 DCB
70's Silvertone - 20,12,14, 14Sn Blue Sparkle
60's No Name MIJ - 20,12,14 Red Sparkle
70's Yamaha (YD?) - 20,12,13,16 Red Ripple
Posted on 14 years ago

I advise my students to look for exports or rockstars for $500 or less, complete with good cymbals and all parts to set up and play. No more than that.

Posted on 14 years ago

I think there are worse drums than Exports,especially the earliest ones.My 89 Rockstar set had atrocious tom mounts-absolute crap white metal with a t-screw that pressed against the L-rod.Everything was bent and stripped.Typically Export mounts are pretty rugged,which is good for the intended market.People can ask any price for any item.A complete 5-piece Export with,say Zildjian pressed cymbals or Sabian B8's in reasonable shape is worth around $400.Anyone asking more......best of luck.I do think the Rockstars are better DRUMS,but far worse hardware.

Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

I have been just grazin' around C/L in almost every market around the country the past few days and I am finding a rather disturbing, yet funny trend...is it me, or did I miss something in the last year...all of a sudden, Pearl Exports are popping up all over in the 450-1500 (!) range....now I ain't no rocket scientist, not even a scientist at all, unless you consider what we do "percussive science"..but aren't these like the number one over-produced drums on the planet, and aren't they still....crap...?Now, the last time I looked, they were the same non-descript shells and lugs and junk wrap, but are they now gaining some notariety because they are no longer produced, in which case we should have, according to my calculations, about another 204.639 years of Export stock before there is a danger they will disappear.....can someone show me where the bar is, please? I think I will need a drink after discovering that disturbing trend...

And this coming from our resident MIJ/Stencil rescuer Laughing H:D

Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

I have been just grazin' around C/L in almost every market around the country the past few days and I am finding a rather disturbing, yet funny trend...is it me, or did I miss something in the last year...all of a sudden, Pearl Exports are popping up all over in the 450-1500 (!) range....now I ain't no rocket scientist, not even a scientist at all, unless you consider what we do "percussive science"..but aren't these like the number one over-produced drums on the planet, and aren't they still....crap...?Now, the last time I looked, they were the same non-descript shells and lugs and junk wrap, but are they now gaining some notariety because they are no longer produced, in which case we should have, according to my calculations, about another 204.639 years of Export stock before there is a danger they will disappear.....can someone show me where the bar is, please? I think I will need a drink after discovering that disturbing trend...

To add to the insanity, I have noticed plenty of Ludwig Accent drum sets listed for more than they cost new. Funny what people think a pair of ZBT's will bring....

Thank You,

Randy Lane
Website
Randy Lane's YouTube Page
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here