Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Yep, another "Is this brass?"

OK, I've read other threads helping folks identify whether a shell is brass. I'd like to ask the same favor.

I have a Ludwig 14x6.5" snare with pre-serial keystone badge. Red baseball-bat muffler. Super-sensitive with individual strand adjustments. Chrome shell has a touch of pitting but not the major acne I see on shells sporting LudAlloy stickers. This shell has no sticker but no "B" stamp either.

I filed one of the lug holes, but haven't come to a conclusion. The filings shine with a brassy tint. But the hole itself...well, I'm just not sure.

I would appreciate input from anyone so inclined. Thanks.

Posted on 15 years ago

It looks like brass to me, especially with that seem and rolled over edges. The earlier COB drums didn't have the B stamps, so that's correct. If you have a 60's alloy version to compare, and you hold the bare shells of each one, you'll definitely notice a weight difference in the brass one.

http://www.classicvintagedrums.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I would say with what looks like crimped snare beds, the bearing edge seam flanged down, then towards the shell and a visible seam, yes 100% it's brass.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks mlvibes and backbeatkeeper - much appreciated.

And may I say...woohoo!

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here