Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Yamamoto Gracy? Anybody know ANYTHING?

Seriously, I can't find a single sentance of information on my kit. Help?

2 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Sorry but I don't have any answer for you about your drums but the wrap on those are the coolest wrap I've ever seen on any drums. I wish someone could re-produce that wrap so I could re-wrap my drums with 'em... :)

Posted on 17 years ago

yea I know gracy.

I think they were a stencil kit but I am not sure.

I have a snare drum by gracy.

I love it. I think its an earlier one though because it has

a parallel strainer.

Seeing your wrap I am guessing gracy was made by pearl

because pearl was known in the 60s for making different/unique

wraps as well as the standard regular ones.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

to bebop- thanks. I wish I had the matching snare. If they sound anything like the kit, then I bet they're pretty awesome. I'll try and research under pearl for awhile. Someone else told me it was a Gretsch copy because of the badge design. That lead didn't lead anywhere though, so... here I am.

and to hellacopter- I totally agree. I'm in love with the wrap. I can't found out what it's called, so I named it Pearloid Weave. I'm actually thinking about selling it to fund some other projects. I have to find out what it's worth first. I'm not sure I could actually let it go when push comes to shove.

Posted on 17 years ago
"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

o-lugs---Thanks for the Pearl link. But it still doesn't say anything about Yamamoto Gracy. Did you see something that I missed?

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi. Allow me to explain...I was in a hurry on my way out the door to my gig. I looked up what I could find about Japanese drums. Let me now expand upon that link.

It is to the best of my recollection that there were two main drum building factories in Japan at the time your drums were produced. I may not be correct with the names...but I want to say that one was the Pearl Co. located in Chiba, Japan and the other one, which came later on was the Hoshino factory -responsible for early Tama drums.

Then I got to looking around some more and I found thsi link:

http://www.answers.com/topic/pearl-musical-instrument-company

...and noticed the name of the chief inspector's name was Toshio Yamamoto. I do realize that "Yamamoto is probably a common name in Japan -much like "Smith" or "Jones" is, here in the U.S....OR, it might be a relative of (or THE guy, himself, for all I know!) -the namesake of your Yamamoto/Gracy drums.

The drums you posted really do look like they were modeled after a Gretsch kit...and this would fit right into the description of the Pearl operation during that era -as describd in the link -some good information there in any regard.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

If you look in the drum badge section under "Identify Your Drum" you will see a badge that reads "Gracy" and underneath it says "Yamamoto Drum Manufacturs Co, Ltd" and under that "Tokyo"

Your badges are not shown. I think it is clear that this Yamamoto company made drums for Gracy, or made drums with the Gracy name for at least some period of time.

Posted on 17 years ago

I know it's 7 years later, but it's worth a shot. I just saw a set of these on craigslist for $400. They appear to have some rust but otherwise seem to be in good shape. I'm guessing that $400 is too much especially as there isn't much of a market, if any, for these, but it looks like it would be a killer vintage kit with some TLC. Any thoughts on what a reasonable price would be?

Posted on 9 years ago

I am an American living in Japan since 1985 , and have done a wee bit of research . Some here have said that Gracy drums were made by either Tama or Pearl . Possibly , but the company's offices , written in Japanese in this catalog photo , were in Arakawa Ward in Tokyo . Pearl is a company that has always been in Chiba Prefecture , and not Tokyo . Tama is a Nagoya based company . Gracy was possibly ( like Sakae Drum who made all high end Yamaha since the late 60's ) a subcontractor for either Pearl or Tama . You've got my curiosity up so I'm going to dig a little further ( in Japanese ) and see if I can come up wth more historical info .

I wouldn't pay $ 400 for that kit . Maybe $ 100 - 125 .

1 attachments
1963 Gretsch Progressive Jazz Champagne Sparkle
1967 Ludwig Super Classic Oyster Blue Pearl
Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Burgundy Spkl. bop
etc...
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here