Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Yamaha SD-065MB snare?

Hello! I'm Jan from The Netherlands, new here :-)

I am offered a vintage Yamaha snare with type number: SD-065MB. The fact is that I can not find any info on the 'MB' part of the type number. I do see the 'MD' and the 'MA' when I google it, but the MB does not seem to be very common i guess... Could anyone perhaps help me out on this one?

I am wondering if it is indeed a Recording Custom snare (as this is what I have been told).

Thanks!

Posted on 7 years ago

It is indeed a Recording Custom, 9000 series, late 1970s or early 1980s (I think those were produced in between 1978-83). It's Yamaha's version of a Super Sensitive, with a parallel mechanism for the wires.

Very nice drum :)

Posted on 7 years ago

Yet this has to taken a bit in perspective.

Its a Recording Custom as that it was marketed as a the same high end drum as the RC series (including the same badge and lugs as the wooden models) its still a steel snare, whereas models like the SD075 for instances also featured the same birch shell and models like the SD980 even shared the same high tension lugs as the RC kits.

A great snare nonetheless.

www.musiqoundsproductions.com
Posted on 7 years ago

Seamless steel. Great drum.

I am on the hunt for a black 5-1/4 birch shell. But I'd take a steel one! They crack!

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago
www.musiqoundsproductions.com
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here