Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

yamaha recording custom 5000?

Hi, i'm new here and I'm from Belgium so please, apologize for my bad english :)

I'm a total nuub in vintage drums and I'm seeking informations about a yamaha drumset a guy's selling on ebay.

Here's the URL : http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/Superbe-batterie-Yamaha-Recording-Custom-5000-1980-RARE-/200478065195?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_23&hash=item2ead6c822b

The guy write it's a 80's recording custom but after in the description he says it's a 5000 serie so Hmmmm.

I do not have more pictures of it so i can't help you this way.

Please, can you tell me what's the model of the drum and the specifications? Help2

Thanks a lot!

Posted on 14 years ago

wow thats expensive!

69 super classic 63 supra paiste 2000
Posted on 14 years ago

From the photos I think that may be the stage series,the recording series has a dark stain inside the shells,those do not.Here is a couple scans of the 1983 Yamaha catalogue, http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/catalogs/yamaha/1983_yamaha_catalog_5.jpg http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/catalogs/yamaha/1983_yamaha_catalog_8.jpg I don't know how much money yamahas are bringing in your country but that price seems all right if the drums were recording series and in really good condition,and the cymbals were top notch,but if it is a 7000 series 8000 or especially a 5000,it is IMO overpriced,in this market in american dollars.

Posted on 14 years ago

Hmmmm. I think i'll forget this ad, that seems to be a scam, the man can't tell me the series of the cymbals.

Thank's a lot!

Posted on 14 years ago

Maybe the guy doesn't know what he has,if he figures it out and if he is legit he might list them again at a fair price.I am not extremely knowledgable about yamahas but if you are looking for a recording custom I have played and seen quite a few recording series kits and they all have had the dark stained interiors,and the first pro series were 9000 from I think 1976 thru 1978,1979 was the first year they were called recording custom,and they never were a wrapped kit,always laquered or stained.By the way welcome to the forum!

Posted on 14 years ago

Hi!

Welcome to the forum!

The Yamaha in your posted link is definitely NO Recording Custom, it´s, according to the links that eamesuser posted, a Stage Series kit.

The Recording Series have from the beginning - as far as I know - the so called "High-Tension-Lugs" and only the Stage Series (later in the 80´s they were named "8000 Series") have single lugs.

I got my 9000 in the early 90´s, and I only can recommend this kit thoroughly if you´re looking for a warm, full sound with a good attack. The shells are made of mahogany and birch which are layed alternately, if I remember right.

When you´re out for a bit more "singin´" sound, choose the shells with the regular, standard depth. If you like a more powerful sound, then choose the so called "Power"-Shells!

The 22" BD is recommendable in the standard, 14" depth only. For more kick and a bit more funky sound, take the 20" Power-BD.

In every case, Remo´s PinStripe batters work best on these drums - my opinion. But its, however, a matter of taste.

But Maybe I´m telling you nothing new here, when you already decided what to go for, sorry!:D

Greets from a little more east from your place!

Jazz is not dead - it just smells funny! FZ
Posted on 14 years ago

The drums shown on the auction are NOT RC's.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here