Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

Yamaha question

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and I have a qustion.

I found a set of black oyster drums at a pawn shop that consist of two ride toms, one floor tom and a bass drum. Two of the drums have a Yamaha badge that says "Made in Japan" and the serial number is "2489". The interior is a silver finish. The drums are in poor condition and he wants 200.00

Are these worth getting and restoring? I found the attached photo on this forum. The finish and badge are the same as this one.

Posted on 17 years ago

I do not think its worth it to buy that yamaha. I bought a Tama stencil kit that was in pretty good condition missing only on the toms the bottom hoops and tension rods for less than that and I also got a Kent 3-piece with the original cymbals and heads. I was lucky though it was one of those "I have to get rid of these, first person to come gets it for cheap" and I did get it for cheap, So thats just my expirience, Im trying to sell the Tama kit right now if your interested. Its in the for sale forum. Any offers are welcome. Cheers.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

The Yamaha set is definatly worth paying $200 for. The key thing is to remember that Yamaha never distributed drums in the US until the late 70's early 80's.So the kits that are floating about are rare.So rare that even the Yamaha headquarters in Cali doesn't have a kit to display and they have a hard time finding one.Definatly again worth $200 and even as a project once complete the drums could sell for upwards of $800.My advice is definatly consider the set and weigh the options.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 17 years ago

I would go with what Archxangel said because, i will openly admit, I do not know much about Yamaha, I was just making a guess by the Tama I have.

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

Yes, very nice drums in relationship to other stencil kits of that same era.

I follow the drums on ebay and had always wanted a match to the snare drum I have. I'm always looking for literature and or items from the 60's and Yamaha does not come up that often. There currently is a catalog on Ebay.

That snare happens to still be in my collection.

Buy it for the $200 and you can probably restore it and get it looking pretty good.

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to get it and restore it. I'll use this site to help getting parts, restoring, etc.

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here