Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Yamaha Price Check

So I am planning to pick this kit up from a guy on FB. He sent me more photos than I can shake a stick at and this kit is truly in beautiful shape. Missing the rail mount on the bass, but no extra holes, not a re-wrap, no real dings or dents. I mean the kit seriously is beautiful. Sizes are 12",14",20" even comes with a matching 14" snare ( though if I do get this kit, that snare is never leaving the collection,lol ) He is asking $850 which to me seems more than fair given the age, condition, and somewhat rarity of this wrap. Just figured I would see what you guys all thought before I went ahead as I plan to. Probably won't be getting it until next week. But man are they pretty.

1 attachments
119.2 kB
18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Boy, that is a tough one. I bought a Rogers 380 (made by Yamaha in the late 60's) in a similar cool wrap (a red ripple type) for $500. This kit was a five piece with matching snare and the original tom mount. Having said that, I do not know if the Yamaha badges increase the value or not. There is a guy on here who looked down upon my kit because it was not Yamaha (he actually swears Yamaha did not make shells for Rogers). But, that is another story and thread.

Posted on 8 years ago

It ain't cheap but it looks really nice. Certainly no rewrap as that wrap is unique to Yamaha and only used on that series for a short time (golden dragon). This is a C200 and was Yamaha's base model with a 6 lug bass drum. The snares can be either 6 or 8 lug. However, even though they were the basic model the wraps were unique to that line. They are also very well made. It seems some have re-rings and some not.

Verminator - ironically, I wonder whether the Yamaha badged drums are now more desirable. And the wraps from the C series drums are unique and super cool, and not found on the Rogers branded drums

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 8 years ago

Beautiful kit (bith in looks and sound) but 850,- is way too much. Even the higher end D model (most of them with wood hoops, more lugs for more equal tuning, grey interior finish etc) don't sell for that much.

I bought my used D (TT) series in rare Blue Camphor for $208.

A mint D-TT (with 2 rack toms, 1 floor, kick and a snare) sold for $571 on reverb last month.

An identical kit sold for $89 locally (it was missing the rack tom, but still) and the same kit with rack tom and bigger sizes is for sale for $550 (which I think is also to steep) in Germany.

This to give you an idea of current prices.

Also, before buying... check the kit in real life. Even on the best pictures things like rust, ply/wrap separation, missing internal parts, dings, paint chipping of and such are really hard to catch on a picture. Especially when its intended to hide.

www.musiqoundsproductions.com
Posted on 8 years ago

Relatively-speaking, the asking price ($850 USD) is a bit high considering that one could find a decent 60's Slingerland for that price or less, as well as some Ludwig kits (provided they're not in rare/collectible colors), and for about the same money, one could also find a 20/13/16 RB Gretsch in fair condition (again, provided that it's not in a rare/collectible color). Though there are those who collect 60's Yamaha kits, they are a very small group relative to the US vintage market, which makes paying $850 for this somewhat of a risk, especially if you're basing your buying decision on the belief that you could at least recoup most of the purchase price if you were ever decided to sell it.

So, assuming that the sound and build quality is equal to other kits of that era, the real question is whether you really, really like its uniqueness, for unlike any of the comparative examples I've given, you're probably not going to see another one like this in this condition again, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Posted on 8 years ago

A identical set was on eBay for months at $450.00. If I remember correctly it also had a snare. It's started out around $850.00 but keep being relisted lower and lower until it hit the $450.00 then was gone. I never checked the final auctions to see if it sold or was just removed.

Looking for a late 80's to early 90's, preferably Arctic White Pearl MLX 14x14 floor tom.
Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here