Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Yamaha late 60's early 70's...any info?

Hey there....does anyone have any information about this set? 3 piece Yamaha 12" tom 14" floor 18" bass....looking for a matching snare (if it even exists) or just some info on the set. I've had it for years and have recently brought it out of storage for my neighbor to hone her blossoming musical skills on. Thanks all.

Oh...by the way, there is no serial number I can find anywhere on the drums, no "Nippon Gakki" on the emblem or numbers...Just "YAMAHA...MADE IN JAPAN" original bottom heads all around that say "YAMAHA Nippon Gakki, bass drum or tom-tom, etc..."

Posted on 16 years ago

Well, I can tell you that there is a growing collector's market for vintage Yamaha (and other "brands") of vintage Japanese drums. That finish is a cool one, so I would put it at the high-end of the collectibilty-factor.

Basically, I have read that these early Yamahas were quite well-made...although I've never really put my hands on a set of them.

Likely, yes, there is a matching snare drum somewhere...but "matching" could mean a chrome snare drum.

Hey...with those dimensions (18" bass drum, 12" and 14" toms), you have a Japanese Jazzette! Just out of curiosity...What is the depth of the shell (measure from bearing edge to bearing edge -not from hoop-to-hoop) of that bass drum?

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 16 years ago

thanks for the reply....without taking the heads off I measure approx. 13-14 inches deep on the bass...it's a great set in wonderful condition, has not been messed with and all original parts.

Posted on 16 years ago

Matt,

Okay, then...it's likely a 14" depth. VERY unlikely that it's 13" depth...BUT, if it's 12" in depth, then we should talk some more! :)

Posted on 16 years ago

Well...if i get a wild hair tonight I'll take one of the heads off to get a precise measurement for you.....I'm assuming you are a collector of the "jazzette" kits?

Posted on 16 years ago

Indeed, I am!

Posted on 16 years ago

Man...sorry to burst your bubble, I was even wrong about the bass width...here's the official measurement. Bass 20Wx14D, floor tom 14x14, and tom-tom 12Wx8D....I'd still consider this a "jazz", although...I'm sure there is no distinct definition...your thoughts?

Also.....do you know of any resources online or anywhere to find out the year this set was made? That would at least give me some idea as to what to hunt down re: proper hardware, snare, etc.....

Posted on 16 years ago

I don't know exactly when the kit was made and, other than getting a hold of someone at the Yamaha musical instruments division who is a historian, I wouldn't know where to point you. But, rest assured, your kit is now and will continue to be collectible. Just keep it in good shape and keep the original heads off the drum if you plan on playing it. Save them for when you re-sell (if ever) and replace them with some coated Remo Ambassadors (or Diplomats).

Too bad (for me) it's not a "Jazzette" size kit or I would be begging you to sell them to me...and I don't need anymore drums! (of course I do!). Nevertheless, a 20" bass drum is a "cool" size. Someone around here is an avid collector of this type of kit. I forget his name at the moment...maybe you could look through some of the older posts here at this section and find him. He was heavy into researching this stuff. Maybe HE might see your post. Give it some time. In the meantime, be careful not to get too wild on that thing! Parts may be nearly impossible to find. EBay if you're lucky.

Posted on 16 years ago

The badge is from the early 70's...

I think the most recent issue of Classic Drummer has a Yamaha timeline, but the badge which I have seen many times usually dates to around that time possibly late 60's, but the general time frame is early 70's. to get an exact date is impossible unless you are the original owner with the original receipt.

Then again they could have been sitting around for awhile before they sold.

Your question is probably the most asked question about a vintage drum and unfortunately the drum companies back then did not really consider it important.

We now have to go on the badge, finish and other details to get a range of dates.

David

Here is a link to my Yamaha snare Click Here. This version badge has a serial number and yours does not, making yours an earlier version if I remember correctly.

Posted on 16 years ago

I have always been a bit intrigued by the vintage yamahas, were they high end? Atleast thats what I have heard. What are the shells made of maple or something.

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here