Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Yamaha ID / Question

So the two concert toms I picked up are starting to get me a tad confused. When I got them I pegged them for early 1980's Recording customs. Based on the look,the sizes and the badges. They each have two badges on the drums. One is blank and the other has either ET-910GE or ET-908GE followed by IP. They also say made in Japan. When I contacted Yamaha they told me they were pre Recording Custom and likely from the 9000 series. I see the kit Verminator has indicates this were made in Taiwan. And going by the 1983 Yamaha catalog, the numbers put them as Recording Customs, and while one series has the black interiors, the other series did not. Can someone help me get this 100% clear.

5 attachments
18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 8 years ago

Your toms are from somewhere in the early 80's. Contacting Yamaha will get you a quick guess about age and series because frankly, they don't really know or care about drums they manufactured 30+ years ago.

Based on the type of wood color on the interior they look like they are birch drums. Also, the fact that they say made in Japan and have the hex rod mounts point to them being Recording custom drums. I have an early 80's Yamaha catalog that shows a Recording Custom kit offered with concert toms like yours. They are listed in the catalog with ET-9XX model numbers. So based on all the information you posted, they are early Recording Custom concert toms.

Hope that helps.

Posted on 8 years ago
Action Another action Something else here