Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.45511%

Yamaha guys help

Was hoping someone could figure out or shed some light on a problem that i'm having with my vintage Yamaha 8000 series floor tom legs/brackets.. When i got the kit, the floor tom brackets and legs were perfect, with no rust or pitting. I took apart all the hardware of the brackets and lubed them with Jig-a-loo to keep all the parts working smoothly. The problem now is that the floor tom legs slip and don't tighten properly. I do not want to over tighten for fear of stripping or breaking parts. I did not lube the actual legs or inside the insert of the leg bracket, just the eyelets and around the bracket wing nut threading.

The leg threading ( I can't remember the actual term for this, but i'm referring to the part of the legs with the rough surface) is in perfect shape, and still rough.. I also found it strange that not all the legs are the same length.. Was this normal for vintage Yamaha brackets of the early 80's ? But i know that the legs are definitely Yamaha, as i checked out this out from the internet.. I've got a whole wk end gig for this new year's eve, and i'm hoping that they won't fail on me.

Thankfully, they haven't so far, and they're holding up today when i set them up this afternoon..So what could the problem be ?

As usual, all thoughts are appreciated.. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL !PartyParty

Posted on 7 years ago

very tiny adjustable hose clamps as memory locks

might add some piece of mind for the gig at least

Posted on 7 years ago

Try a little plumbers Teflon tape like you use on plumbing threads. I have used that , a simple wrap or two around the leg to give some grip. It's about 59 cents at Home Depot. Will fit into the eyelet and give some stability

No Guru - I just love collecting & learning about vintage drums!

Some of my favorites from the kits in the collection
58 WFL New Yorker Blue Sparkle
67 Ludwig Hollywood Red Psychedelic
69 Ludwig Standard Red Ruby Strata
70's Ludwig BOP "Ringo" Kit

A few of my favorite snares
20's Leedy Black Elite
51 Leedy & Ludwig Knob Tension
58 WFL Buddy Rich Classic Blue Sparkle
63 Walberg & Auge Sea Blue Agave Green Pearl
66 Leedy Shelly Manne Blue Agate Pearl
Posted on 7 years ago

From Kenwood

very tiny adjustable hose clamps as memory locks might add some piece of mind for the gig at least

I was going to suggest this as well. Works great, and sets up exactly the same every time.

To answer some other questions:

The rough surface is called "knurling" and it should be rough.

The kegs should all be the same length, and the rubber feet should turn 1/2 way to slot down and expose the pointed end of the leg.

As far as slipping goes, the eye is not gripping the knurling well? I've never had that problem but you can try adding a second washer under the wing nut. It is possible the wing nut is bottoming out before it is tight enough. I'd also run a brass or copper brush through the leg mounts and eye holes. They should be clean. Build up of oxidation, wax (assuming you waxed them) can cause slippage although I've never had a floor Tom keg budge even a tiny bit. Not even back in my "2B stick" days...

Maybe post some photos. But if the keg lengths are not the same, it is possible you have knock-off legs that are not the same diameter as the originals. If they were smaller diameter, the eye and leg mount would have minimal contact with the leg to secure it. It should be a snug fit.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks to all for the info and suggestions.. I realized that when i went to the gig last night, i double checked the legs, and two work perfectly, and the one that doesn't is the shorter leg. However, i don't think it's a knock off because as JIM said, they should have the turning/slotting rubber feet that can adjust from spike to rubber with a quick turn, and all of the legs have them. Unless there exists some knock offs of like this type of Yamaha leg ? I'm going to try the hose clamps and hopefully my local hardware store is open today. If they don't have the size im looking for, i'll just go with the teflon plumbing tape.. As i once told my wife, it's the little annoyances that get me everytime, and i lose my temper quickly because of it. My new year's resolution will be to not be so bothered by these little annoyances that can sometimes get the best of us..

Once again, thanks to all for the suggestions. Wishing you guys a happy and healthy new year !

cheers,

Rob

Posted on 7 years ago

I was also wondering what size mm are the vintage Yamaha legs ? I was thinking of possibly replacing all 3 with Pearl's suspension floor tom legs or possibly with some Gibraltar legs of the same diameter..

Posted on 7 years ago

I'll have to check my D20 floor Tom next time down there.

I was thinking maybe the YESS floor toms have shorter legs because the mount is closer to the hoop. Not certain because all mine are pre-YESS...

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here