Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

Yamaha Brass 14x8 snare

My drum teacher has this fat Yamaha snare. Its brass, 14x8, and has "Power Hoops" (my teacher sez they are die cast). The drum is in perfect condition, and my teacher told me its from the 70's-80's, and its one of the early recording custom brass snare drums. He wants $500 (or $300 and an old tama cymbal stand and my crappy steel imperialstar snare) for it. Does that sound reasonable, or is he trying to rip me off? Thanks.

Posted on 18 years ago

Cannot answer your questions but, as a drum teacher myself, if you think he is even capable of ripping you off, shouldn't you be thinking about a new drum teacher??

Just a thought.

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Cannot answer your questions but, as a drum teacher myself, if you think he is even capable of ripping you off, shouldn't you be thinking about a new drum teacher??Just a thought.

Nah, Hes given me some great deals in the past, and hes an excellent teacher. But I just want to be sure, because I don't want to buy it unless its soemthing I really can't find for a much lower price. Plus, I always think everyone is trying to rip me off, I'm just paranoid :p .

Posted on 18 years ago

Though I have no idea on the value of "your" drum, I can say I have a Yamaha beaded Brass 14"x6.5" snare with power hoops (steel though not cast) which I bought new in the 90's. It's fantastic and my favourite snare. I think it was listed at approx. ?250 recommended retail in the U.K. then. Sorry, don't know what that is in dollars. Keep on Pl

Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Though I have no idea on the value of "your" drum, I can say I have a Yamaha beaded Brass 14"x6.5" snare with power hoops (steel though not cast) which I bought new in the 90's. It's fantastic and my favourite snare. I think it was listed at approx. ?250 recommended retail in the U.K. then. Sorry, don't know what that is in dollars. Keep on Pl

Its an amazing snare drum, and is much louder and sensitive than any snare drum I've tried (except the paiste snare, but thats too expensive for me). Also, I've never seen an 8 inch deep Yamaha brass snare. and thats about $440. I found a new Brass Yamaha for $320, but its 14x7, and has dyna hoops, not power hoops. Whats the difference between the hoops?

Posted on 18 years ago

Well, if the drum is amazing and you can get an amazing drum for a trade and some cash, then then the question as to whether or not you should get it has already been answered. I have a bunch of snare drums. None of them are amazing. So, if that drum is amazing, then get it.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 18 years ago

Quoted post

Well, if the drum is amazing and you can get an amazing drum for a trade and some cash, then then the question as to whether or not you should get it has already been answered. I have a bunch of snare drums. None of them are amazing. So, if that drum is amazing, then get it.

Good point. Its a snare that can go from extremely light ghost notes to almost skull splitting volumes. Very sensitive, very loud.

Keep on Pl

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here