Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Yamaha 9000/recording custom in chrome wrap only!.

As i'm looking, searching&seeking above in 2x26" kicks, 15' rack tom&16" floor tom,

What's the closest in both birch shell construction(number of plies/thickness) lug type etc to above ?(Yamaha 9000/Recording Custom).As i was told that Yamaha no longer make/offer chrome finish in a wrap! :(.

Posted on 7 years ago

Yeah, it's been at least 20 years (probably 30 as I think that was 9000 series and not recording custom series) since they had a chrome wrap...

If you just need great shells, the stage custom birch line is indistinguishable sonically from the RC line. All birch, made on similar equipment (Yamaha copied the Sakae equipment) angled ply seams etc. Great drums.

Then you need to find wrap, which I believe was stainless steel back then. Peral (and others I'm sure) used a chromed plastic wrap as well but I don't know if it would match the metal wrap. And finally, "high tension" lugs, or the 9000 lugs (tail light style).

Good luck finding those! The larger sizes are your friend as it was the big, deep drum era I last saw these... 15's are unusual however.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago

Yeah, it's been at least 20 years (probably 30 as I think that was 9000 series and not recording custom series) since they had a chrome wrap...If you just need great shells, the stage custom birch line is indistinguishable sonically from the RC line. All birch, made on similar equipment (Yamaha copied the Sakae equipment) angled ply seams etc. Great drums.Then you need to find wrap, which I believe was stainless steel back then. Peral (and others I'm sure) used a chromed plastic wrap as well but I don't know if it would match the metal wrap. And finally, "high tension" lugs, or the 9000 lugs (tail light style).Good luck finding those! The larger sizes are your friend as it was the big, deep drum era I last saw these... 15's are unusual however.

Just a small addition, Air Seal System was the invention of Yamaha from the start (1967) which they used in the Sakae factory in Nittsu/Hamamatsu.

They've installed these in all their factories over the year (Japan, Taiwan, UK and now China)

The Birch Custom is an excellent replacement set, and you could wrap these (or have these wrapped) in a chrome wrap if you'd want.

A 26'' kick size hasn't been made in a very long time, 15'' hanging toms are out of the picture for quite some time too. 16'' toms can be found widely.

Sometimes the ''orphan'' shells you seek do pop up second hand (eBay, Reverb, Craig's List, etc)

Good luck!

www.musiqoundsproductions.com
Posted on 7 years ago

Yes- my D-20 kit has the angled seams and that's from ~1970 or so.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here