Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

WTB Leedy t-rod

Hi everybody. I'm a newbie here. This is my first post. What I am looking for is a t-rod for a Leedy multi-model snare drum. These are of a smaller dia. than the typical t-rod. I have 15, and need only 1 more. Maybe one of the Leedy enthusiasts can help. I'll keep my fingers crossed. This looks like a great forum. I am a vintage drummer playing vintage drums.

Posted on 15 years ago

From atomicmorganic

Hi everybody. I'm a newbie here. This is my first post. What I am looking for is a t-rod for a Leedy multi-model snare drum. These are of a smaller dia. than the typical t-rod. I have 15, and need only 1 more. Maybe one of the Leedy enthusiasts can help. I'll keep my fingers crossed. This looks like a great forum. I am a vintage drummer playing vintage drums.

If you have the slotted ones, for a substitute you can go to a good hardware store and get 10/24 fillister head bolts. Those were actually the first tension rods Leedy used before they had the rods with the larger slotted heads.

Also, John Aldridge of the Not So Modern Drummer (he's now a contributor and writer) used to sell repros of the slotted head tension rods...he may still have some. Call him, don't email..

Posted on 15 years ago

From Rich K.

If you have the slotted ones, for a substitute you can go to a good hardware store and get 10/24 fillister head bolts. Those were actually the first tension rods Leedy used before they had the rods with the larger slotted heads.Also, John Aldridge of the Not So Modern Drummer (he's now a contributor and writer) used to sell repros of the slotted head tension rods...he may still have some. Call him, don't email..

Mine are not the slotted ones. Just regular square heads. Right now I have brass screws on it. I would be open to a slotted rod if I could blend it in with the square heads.

(hide it on the bottom). The screws don't allow proper tensioning.

Posted on 15 years ago

Wow...never saw a multi model with square head rod. I'd love to see a picture.

The rods should be 10/24 thread. You can sometimes find them on OLD, single tension student drums. Those are usually too long, so what I've seen done is getting one of those, getting a 10/24 die (tap?), cut the threads down with the die on the rod, clip the rod to the right length and then unscrew the die.

ALSO, you can find the right length normal 12/24 rod and re-tap it (or die) it with a 10/24 die.

Trying to find these 10/24 rods has been a chore for Leedy collectors for years, so you have company.

Post a pic of the multi model if you can. Rich

Posted on 15 years ago

Rich,in John Aldridges book"Vintage Drums" there is a 1914 catalog page that says that square head rods could be ordered as an option for no extra charge. I would send a pic, but I'm having trouble uploading to photobucket. Besides I still have the brass screws on the drum. I had all the parts except the screws re-plated because they were totally rusted. I will do the same to the rods once I have a complete set.

Posted on 15 years ago

You're right about that option. I have a multi model sold by Conn. It says "victor model" on the top hoop. It has brass colored square head rods...the rest of the hardware is nickel...not sure if there are original or not...

Posted on 15 years ago

Could somebody please PM me John A.s phone #? Thanks.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here