Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

WTB 60s MIJ Star hardware (Lyra/Majestic)

I'm looking for:

(6) Tension rods - 1 3/4"

(6) Tension rods - 2 1/2"

(1) Triple flanged tom hoop - 13", 6 hole

(1) Bass drum mounted cymbal L-arm

(1) Baseball bat style muffler for Lyra snare

Not sure the exact measurements, but the tension rods are smaller in diameter than modern MIJ and US rods.

Thanks in advance!

3 attachments
Vintage kits:
1969 Rogers Holiday - black diamond pearl (20/16/13/12)
196x Star (Lyra/Majestic) - blue sparkle pearl (22/14/13) Restoration Project
1987 Pearl KC-3500 - jet black (22/16/13/12)
Not-so-vintage kits:
2007 Hart Dynamics Professional 6.4 e-kit / Roland TDW-20
Snares:
60s Gretsch 5x14 maple WMP / 68 Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic / 93 Pearl 3x14 Free Floating brass piccolo / 60s Star (Lyra) 5x14 luan blue sparkle pearl / 87 Pearl 6.5x14 steel
Posted on 6 years ago

I definitely have the tension rods you need and probably the 13" hoop too. I'll check tonight and PM you. I have some other Star stuff too if you want me to see what else is here.

Posted on 6 years ago

That would be great, thanks FloydZKing. Please let me know what you find!

Vintage kits:
Not-so-vintage kits:
Snares:
60s Gretsch 5x14 maple WMP / 68 Ludwig 5x14 Supraphonic / 93 Pearl 3x14 Free Floating brass piccolo / 60s Star (Lyra) 5x14 luan blue sparkle pearl / 87 Pearl 6.5x14 steel
Posted on 6 years ago

PM coming next, I have the tension rods and the hoop.

Posted on 6 years ago

Bumping this because I'm still in need of the following:

(6) Tension rods - 2 1/2"

(1) Bass drum mounted cymbal L-arm

(1) Baseball bat style muffler for Lyra snare

The L-arm and muffler aren't as vital as the long tension rods. I'm very close to completing the restoration, the tension rods will at least get it to playing condition. Thanks in advance.

Vintage kits:
Not-so-vintage kits:
Snares:
Posted on 6 years ago

I hope I am posting in the correct place. I am new to the forum. I am also new to acoustic drums so pardon the dumb questions.

(wow, I just realized how many questions I have, sorry. Hope you all enjoy educating a newbie)

I am restoring a 14X20 Majestic Deluxe Bass Drum which I plan to pair with a pointy badge Acrolite. I have included a few pictures and hope to:

1. Just find out what I have here (grey interior?)

2. I have included pics of some of the hardware in hopes that someone can date it.

3. All the hardware is here EXCEPT the legs (spurs?). Can you suggest where I might find them?

4. I assume the hardware with the red arrow is for a cymbal mount - Anybody got one?

5. should I put felt in the lugs? does it go around the spring completely or just between the spring and the shell?

6. Is it reasonable to think I might find a matching tom?

7. Does the pedal hold up the back of the drum or should I get a small riser? Seems like clamping the pedal to this rim is asking for trouble.

8. Which heads do you recommend? Ported?

9. The hoops have a very deep groove in the center (ha, at least the hoops have groove!). Is this for anything other than collecting grunge and rust and frustrating restorers?

Hope this is not too much. Please let me know what you think.

Posted on 5 years ago

forgot a pic of the leg bracket.

1 attachments
Posted on 5 years ago

I can answer a few of your questions:

1. Just find out what I have here (grey interior?)

Majestic badged drums are manufactured by Star, my guess is early 70s. I have a blue sparkle 16" floor tom (no badge, Star brand) with a grey interior much like your bass drum. I've paired it with a 60s Star kit, all of which have reinforcement rings, but the FT doesn't have them.

5. should I put felt in the lugs? does it go around the spring completely or just between the spring and the shell?

I recommend putting felt in the lugs, yes. I didn't when I restored my kit, and the springs buzz all the time. I'll eventually get around to removing the lugs and stuffing them with felt, and I'll probably surround the spring with it to be sure to eliminate any buzz. Right now I typically practice with IEMs so I don't hear the buzz that much.

6. Is it reasonable to think I might find a matching tom?

Red sparkle isn't too rare, and neither is that lug type, so yes I think it's reasonable you'll find another. I wouldn't be too concerned about finding a drum with a matching badge, however.

7. Does the pedal hold up the back of the drum or should I get a small riser? Seems like clamping the pedal to this rim is asking for trouble.

I have a new Rogers Dyna-matic pedal and it clamps to that same type of hoop just fine.

8. Which heads do you recommend? Ported?

I have an Evans EQ4 batter with a non-ported Remo Fiberskyn resonant head on my 22". It sounds great. I'd be open to try other similar batter heads, including the EMAD series.

9. The hoops have a very deep groove in the center (ha, at least the hoops have groove!). Is this for anything other than collecting grunge and rust and frustrating restorers?

Nope, not that I can tell, lol. I soaked mine in Dawn/water and it seems like all the rust and grime was removed everywhere but in those grooves. I've thought about getting some chrome ribbon or contact paper and cutting it into thin strips to stick inside them.

Vintage kits:
Not-so-vintage kits:
Snares:
Posted on 5 years ago

Hi Vater!

Did you ever find your (6) 2.5" tension rods and BB style muffler for your Lyra/Majestic kit?

As to your new reply to "betterlatethannever", I have a feeling he'll never see it. This member hasn't posted since December. Also, he really should have posted under a new topic. Just hate to see your well thought-out reply go to waste!

-Mark

Posted on 5 years ago

Oh, it's no big deal, thanks idrum4fun. :) I hadn't posted in forever, either.

Here are the only remaining things this kit needs:

1. Find a matching inlay for bass drum batter hoop (not likely; I may just leave it or come up with something else for both hoops).

2. BB style muffler for snare.

3. Drill out the bass drum cymbal arm holder so it will fit a 10.3mm Gretsch cymbal arm (right now I have a Gibraltar L-arm the Gretsch is fastened to, and it's slightly too small in diameter).

Oh, and I took the snare apart to sand down a rough patch on the wrap. I also found a few orphan Star drums in blue sparkle last year, and I kept the 16" floor which matches this kit well. Pictured below with my '68 Supra while my Lyra snare is disassembled.

1 attachments
Vintage kits:
Not-so-vintage kits:
Snares:
Posted on 5 years ago
Action Another action Something else here