Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Wrinkled wrap question

The Silver Satin wrap (heavy metalized mylar with a clear PVC top layer) on my 70's vintage Pearl 14x22 bass has wrinkled from age and attic heat. It also has the little dimples from the hole drillings that were trapped in during manufacturing. A replacement wrap is seemingly impossible to find. I tried using 3M Super 77 to reattach the wrap and flatten it out. That didn't work. Perhaps I should have used a high bond glue such as Weldwood. I have also tried using a heat gun to gently manipulate the material. That gives the clear PVC top layer a sort of cottage cheese effect. So, the question is: Has anybody tried having their old wrap run through a large scale heat laminating machine? The idea is not to have the wrap laminated but rather the heat and pressure would flatten it out. I contacted a local print shop that does heat laminating and they told me that they could run it through their machine for about $10. What do you think?

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

This is more a fact of life with these old wraps. Almost every old drum, especially those with a thinner wrap, have this condition. My old, pre-67 MIJ have a WMP finish that is really thin and it suffers from the same displacement of the wrap around virtually every lug. I just live with it, as do most people. Really, it's more of an annoyance to us than to anyone else. When people ask, I tell them it all about the character of the drums. Not much can make it go away, and I don't know if that will work or not, but since replacing the wrap is going to be difficult, at best, is it worth risking the possibility of further damage?

Look at the possibilities: the wrap could become brittle. It could stretch beyond the original size and thus become unusable because the holes would then not line up. It could melt in the rollers, and render it a complete mess. There are just too many variables for me. There could be a good effect, but I am not sure I would risk it unless I was prepared to rewrap them if it failed.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

The BD wrap is pretty much ruined. I'm having second thoughts about having it run through the heat laminator. Perhaps I would be better off buying a full wrap kit. Maybe white gloss? Too bad Silver Satin is not available anywhere because the toms are still in great shape. This is an old luan kit that I've had for 32 years. There is no damage to the shells, the hardware is cleaning up excellent and the chrome snare looks outstanding. New wrap? New heads? Will I be too much over value?...

I REALLY LIKE SILVER SATIN. If it is at all possible to find enough to rewrap the BD, that would be my preference. Even if it is excellent used wrap.

Posted on 14 years ago

I have seen some new budget drums covered in silver satin-maybe the new(ugh) Rogers.But how would you get in contact with a drum company in China?They are affiliated with Yamaha.If it were me,I'd be springing for BDP wrap-I really like those drums!I have a 70's Royce set with the same shell construction-nice round warm tone.

Posted on 14 years ago

The silver on the new Rogers is too dark

I've thought about some kind of vintage pearl wrap. Jammin Sam has this Vintage Sky Blue Pearl as seen here:

http://www.jamminsam.com/images/vintageskybluescan2.jpg

It's $179.99 plus $20 for bass hoop strips and $20 for tape.

This option is $60 more than Gloss White and $40 less than Vintage White Pearl.

The White Pearl Special at $149.99 does not appeal to me.

I want this set to look incredible as it has a certain sentimental value. However, I do not want to be way over value on the completed project with new heads.

Opinions?... Advice?...

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here