Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Wrapping Rogers Drums

For you guys out there who have experience re-wrapping Rogers drums, do you attempt to land the seams in their original locations?

In particular, do you attempt to match the factory location and direction of the lap, which is that the bottom piece of wrap passes beyond the lugs that are just above the spurs, and the top piece then comes down over it to the exact center of the lug. When finished, the seam edge faces the floor and three panels between lugs are covered with one piece of wrap.

I started to do a bass this weekend and the bottom piece of wrap was too short to accomplish this goal. I had not run into this problem in the past, but the supplier said they simply provide enough material to cover the whole drum, but don't take into consideration where the seams are. I was surprised so thought I'd ask what other have done.

A picture of the bottom of a Rogers 20" bass drum is attached to illustrate. In that picture, you can just make out the seams at the limits of the drum; they are facing downward and just above the spurs. There are several others from a jet black 20" bass to further illustrate the condition at each seam (all photos from Jollity Drum Farm and used without permission, but he probably will grant it because he's a nice guy).

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Posted on 12 years ago

Yes, I always match the location and direction of the seams.

When I order material from Precision Drum they supply the large piece for the bottom.

When I have ordered from Jammin' Sam, they send the smaller bottom piece.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback DanC. It seems we need to specify from here on out or we may not get what we need.

Mine came from Precision. They are sending a longer piece, so that is very helpful. They indicated it is not their regular practice to cut lengths to do anything other than cover the drum. So a bit less than precision in that regard. We are now forewarned.

I note as well that the top piece is quite a bit too long to make up for the shorter bottom piece. Will have to consider if the longer bottom piece has an impact of what you can get out of a full sheet.

I'm going to have to look at Ludwig, Camco, Gretsch and Slingerleedy to see how their seams land.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here