Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Wraping a Bass Drum

I'm interested in doing a re-wrap on my 22" slingerland bass drum. I noticed some sites like Precision Drum only sell wrap in a max length of 54" which is not enough to wrap a 22" drum. They recomend using 2 pieces of wrap and overlaping at the bottom. I would prefer not to use 2 pieces of wrap and only have 1 seam. Anyone know if there is a company that offers 1 piece of wrap for a bass drum?

Posted on 14 years ago

I don't but it's not that bad or hard to wrap using 2 pieces. Put the bottom piece on then put the top piece on with a little overlay on the bottom one. Just make sure to tape and mark your game plan before put the glue on. Also, a wife or friend is nice to have around on bass drums for holding etc.

Good luck...

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 14 years ago

Drum wrap actually comes in rolls (I know because I know a guy that re-wraps drums as a side business. Well, at least sparkles, pearls, and satin flames come in rolls...). You SHOULD be able to find someone who will custom cut a piece for you. Precision might even do it if you ask...

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 14 years ago

All drums are wrapped that way. Even new ones. They do not make wrap that is that long. Look carefully at the bottom of your drum, you will see the bottom is done that way now. It is the way they have done it for years, with the bottom getting piece applied first, then wrapped over the top to make the seams, even large floor toms are done this way, 18 or larger. You might find that some of the elcheapo pvc wraps, the stuff on new drums, not the pearls/sparkles etc, but the solid crap, may be made in longer sheets, then rolled up, but the good stuff is either 53 or 54, and 23 or 24. Those are the standard sizes for quality wrap.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

All drums are wrapped that way. Even new ones. They do not make wrap that is that long. Look carefully at the bottom of your drum, you will see the bottom is done that way now. It is the way they have done it for years, with the bottom getting piece applied first, then wrapped over the top to make the seams, even large floor toms are done this way, 18 or larger. You might find that some of the elcheapo pvc wraps, the stuff on new drums, not the pearls/sparkles etc, but the solid crap, may be made in longer sheets, then rolled up, but the good stuff is either 53 or 54, and 23 or 24. Those are the standard sizes for quality wrap.

Good to know, the reason I was wondering was I just pulled the wrap off a 20" ludwig bass drum and it was 1 piece. It was however a crappy solid wrap like you said.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Yeah....actually, MOST wraps do not come in rolls, they come in the 24x54 sheets. This is because most are cut from a poured block.

Some come in rolls...such as Satin Flames, maybe some solid glosses. But basically, for anything cool, you gotta do the 2-seam thing.

Now, the stupid thing is, if they were gonna set up a standard sheet length....

[COLOR="Red"]...why the hell did they make the standard length 54" ???!!![/COLOR] :mad:

If they had made it 60" (5'), then at least a person could wrap their 18" Floor Tom or Bass Drum with one sheet.

...not such a big deal for the bass drum...but a floor tom with 2 seams really always looks like sh#t.....[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here