Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Wrap seam repair

I finished disassembling my 70's era Slingy red sparkle kit and have to reglue the wrap seams. Looks like some chunky glue under there. Any suggestions on old glue removal that won't harm the wrap?

Posted on 12 years ago

Do you have any pictures?

Are you just trying to repair the seam? If that's the case, "Goo-gone" (available at Walmart among others) probably will work, but I've not had positive results when it comes in contact with a soft outer-ply of the shell, such as mahogany -- but if it's just going to come in contact with the wrap, it will be fine.

Also, sometimes just plain old rubbing alcohol will do the trick -- 90% is better.

Also, for what it's worth, I've used the double-faced taped (available at Drummaker.com) for seam repairs. It's expensive though, if you're only doing one seam...

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

I'll get some pics when I get home. Four seams to do, 2 toms, one bass. Thick glue seems to be on just the wrap overlap. Holding good on the shell. May be an old repair?

Posted on 12 years ago

From reniegreg

I'll get some pics when I get home. Four seams to do, 2 toms, one bass. Thick glue seems to be on just the wrap overlap. Holding good on the shell. May be an old repair?

That sounds like it very well could be...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

I used regular white elmers glue on my last seam repair and clamped the seams down with a flat piece of wood. \held like. A charm. Also you can wipe up any excess euasily and it dries clear. I only wish I had done this on my Premier floor tom seam repair. I USED SOMEONES ADVICE AND USED EPOXY GEL AND SOME RESIDUE CAME OUT AND IT WOULD not wipe off and dried white. W

as a pain toget off anD STILL upset about it.

Posted on 12 years ago

Super Glue GEL...

MY Dirty Little Collection
Posted on 12 years ago

Xylene is the best adhesive remover on the planet. Very strong fumes and very flamable, and it won't hurt the finish or wrap. Regular contact adhesive to reglue the seam. I use the flamable kind, but most people on here use the waterbased. A heat gun will help make the old wrap pliable again, but if your not careful it can ruin the wrap. The super hibond tape from drummaker is very strong. You have to get both surfaces super clean if you use the tape. The tape is expensive, but a roll will last you forever!Super glue might work, but dont get it on the wrap......

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 12 years ago

Seam just had dust and gunk in it, nothing serious. Some original adhesive residue remains.

Sounds like xylene and q tips are the answer there. What solvents should I avoid?!

Used rubbing alcohol and elbow grease on the exterior to clean it. God knows what the stuff on it was but it's shiny now.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here