Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Wrap repairs

Sorry, I know this subject has been discussed several times but I had know luck finding treads on this subject. As you can see in the pictures I have some MIJ shells that need some help. Two questions, can the streched or bubbled wrap be heated up and melted down so it is flat again? And, for a split in the wrap, what kind of glue is used to hold plastic wrap to a wood shell? I once heard that elmers wood glue works but thats hard to belive. Thank you!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 12 years ago

Jeff, I've not had any luck heating the wrap up. I've known/heard of guys that have, but I'm not sure what they're doing to have success.

As for the lifting seam, I have had good results with carefully lifting all of the rest of the seam up and then using the high bond tape all along the seem, clamping down tight for around 24 hours... two man operation, though (or in my case 1 man & 1 woman -- the wife served as the other 2 hands); one of us holding the peeled back wrap and the other positioning the tape. Tedious work, but good results.

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

From billnvick

Jeff, I've not had any luck heating the wrap up. I've known/heard of guys that have, but I'm not sure what they're doing to have success.As for the lifting seam, I have had good results with carefully lifting all of the rest of the seam up and then using the high bond tape all along the seem, clamping down tight for around 24 hours... two man operation, though (or in my case 1 man & 1 woman -- the wife served as the other 2 hands); one of us holding the peeled back wrap and the other positioning the tape. Tedious work, but good results.

This wrap seems very brittle and the glue on the seam is holding very well. How do you get the seam to come loose, heat gun? And what is this tape you speak of please? My wife has good hands too!

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

ive heard a towel and steam with contact cement after it flattens out then small brush an glitter nail polish to match color on break

just a thought ,we use a iron on wood veneer- repair with steam it works good luck

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

From jccabinets

This wrap seems very brittle and the glue on the seam is holding very well. How do you get the seam to come loose, heat gun? And what is this tape you speak of please? My wife has good hands too!Jeff C

Most of the time I've been able to gently pry up the rest of the seam with a putty knife -- but if the glue is holding too tight (which may easily result in breaking the wrap), use a regular household hair "blow-dryer" to gently loosen the glue. You can control the heat from getting too hot (vs a regular heat gun).

As for the tape, I get it here:

http://www.drummaker.net/1-800-NEW-DRUM/www.drummaker.com/FMPro?-db=dm%5fproducts.fp5&-format=detailpop.htm&-lay=cgi&-sortfield=name&IDName=Tape&-max=15&-recid=33173&-token.0=3758408429&-find=

It's expensive, but a roll will last a long time...

It looks like you've got your hands full with this one with the wrap being old and very brittle. Good luck...

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Jeff, for these VERY old and even more brittle wraps, a very hot, damp towel, warm iron and patience,then I use quick set epoxy. You will have little success laying down the bubble. I gently open the crack, fill it will epoxy and then clamp it for awhile, same with the seam.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 12 years ago

That wrap material is thinnier and more brittle than the wrap material used on American drums of the same period. Heting it may lead to a flash fire. Krazy Glue gell---I repeat--gell might work if you can inject it under the wrap that has lifted or cracked. Then, the application of a great deal of pressure while the glue sets up might get the repaired wrap to stay flat. But, I don't hold out much hope for success.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you everyone! I am also considering just removing all the wraps and doing a custom sparkle finish on them. Only thing is, the wraps look nice except for the split and the bubble. Have to think about it some more.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

Posted on 12 years ago

steam the only way to go

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

From jccabinets

Thank you everyone! I am also considering just removing all the wraps and doing a custom sparkle finish on them. Only thing is, the wraps look nice except for the split and the bubble. Have to think about it some more.Jeff C

If this is the worst of the damage for the entire kit then I'd personally try to save it using the suggestions above. Of course if it doesn't work than there's the custom finish route.

I've only ever rewrapped one kit and that was because the wrap was completely destroyed, in all other cases I've kept the original wrap, warts and all. A bit of vintage mojo is good I reckon.

Andrew

Golden Curtain
www.myspace.com/garagelandnz
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here