Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Wrap removed, where to go from here

Ok, I just finished taking the wrap off the drums. I punched out the previously filled holes.

What is the best product to use to get the glue residue off before filling and sanding the shells smooth.

Also, someone painted the interior shells white and one black. can I just hit these with some white spray paint?

This set is going to be covered with the cheap wrap from ebay and essentially made to be a practice kit.

I will post some pictures later.

Posted on 13 years ago

this is the product, it will remove glue,paint,even wrap, you can get iot aty any Lowes or Home Depot, I always use this outside as the fumes are potent,and it needs at least 70 degrees to work properly. or in a very well ventelated work area, also wear gloves,I use a metal scrapper, then sand it with an orbital sander, then your ready to apply your wrap

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

From vintagemore2000

this is the product, it will remove glue,paint,even wrap, you can get iot aty any Lowes or Home Depot, I always use this outside as the fumes are potent,and it needs at least 70 degrees to work properly. or in a very well ventelated work area, also wear gloves,I use a metal scrapper, then sand it with an orbital sander, then your ready to apply your wrap

What grit sand paper when using the orbital sander? I am about to do this same project! Thanks guys!

Posted on 13 years ago

From ec_curtis

What grit sand paper when using the orbital sander? I am about to do this same project! Thanks guys!

I'll start with 120 grit and going up of course to finer grades as needed I usually finish it with at least 600 to 800 grit.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 13 years ago

Cool. The saddest part of this whole project was after removing the black wrap, which was not original, it appears these drums were originally gold sparkle.

The shells are kind of hacked up.

When these came from the factory, was the wrap ever put into a notch in the wood? They are ludwigs, don't know the year.

Posted on 13 years ago

From azharleyriderxl

Cool. The saddest part of this whole project was after removing the black wrap, which was not original, it appears these drums were originally gold sparkle. The shells are kind of hacked up. When these came from the factory, was the wrap ever put into a notch in the wood? They are ludwigs, don't know the year.

Yes the wrap is in the scarf of the shell.

Posted on 13 years ago

That cheap wrap from ebay is glorified contact paper. You will have to get the shell super smooth to make that stuff look good. A small particle of saw dust will show through the wrap if you peel that backing off and stick it to the shell, however, real drum wrap will cover a multitude of faults on the shell.

Minor dents and scratches will show right through the cheap wrap, but wont show through real drum wrap. I covered a kit out of it. The 1st one I tried didnt turn out very well. I ended up leaving the backing on the wrap and installed it using the hibond tape method that jammin Sams recommends. I peeled about a inch and a half of the backing off of the wrap and stuck that to the shell and peeled a inch and a half off of the other end of the wrap and overlaped it sticking to the wrap. Installing the badges was pretty tricky. The wrap wanted to twist under the badge,

You might get something out of this thread.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=7486

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 13 years ago

It seems that if you are going through all the trouble to get the shells clean why go for the cheap wrap?

Posted on 13 years ago

That really is a awful lot of hard work to end up with inferior wrap. The real wrap is thicker, prettier, easier to install, lees prep work, and youd have a nice kit with desirable looks. That ole sparklebrite film looks pretty good on a gift box....... Have you bought the wrap yet?? Have them send you a sample and if they wont id be glad to send you a sample i have left over. Then you can see what Im talking about.

From lucky

It seems that if you are going through all the trouble to get the shells clean why go for the cheap wrap?

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 13 years ago

Ok, I am not 100% sure of the wrap I am going to use. I really need to do this on a tight budget. Anyone want to trade these slinglands for ludwig bass drum claws?

https://picasaweb.google.com/Dieselssturgispics/Mar132011#

here was the before:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Dieselssturgispics/Drums#

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here