Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Wrap Question. - Is it or is it not the original?

I have a 1970 Ludwig drum set. It has the B/O badge and reinforcment rings. It is a blue silk wrap, which was available apparently for the first time, in 1970. However, the wrap does not appear to have been put on very well. There are bubbles here are there and the seams had come lose on most of the drums. There also appear to be places where the wrap was never glued at all.

It makes me wonder if the drum has been re-wrapped.

Does anyone know if in 1970 Ludwig was having quality issues with these wraps that they could have done this type of job? Or should I susspect the drum has been rewrapped?

What clues should I look for that would give it away?

Regards,

Randy

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

that is a real ludwig color, post pics of the problem areas please, there aren't any quality Issues with the wrap, it's got more to do with the history of the drum, how was it stored or used, in a hot car sitting in the sun all day with the windows rolled up. was it in a damp area exposed for a good while etc!!! the glue that is used dry rots over time!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="Blue"]Also, as importantly...post clear pics of the edges; where the wrap meets the edge. That's always a giveaway as to whether a rewrap or not.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

My daughter has my good camera and is out of town until tomorrow. In the meantime, I have takern a few shots, but I am not sure how good they will look. Here are the pics.

The first shows how the seam just popped and bubbled. The second shows a bubble under the surface of the wrap. its tough to make out, but it's there. These are in diifferent places throughout all the drums

Randy

2 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

From what I'm able to see, this is an easy fix! the air hole groument looks factory I would say with a very high degree of certainty that's factory original wrap! this is fairly common Issues that you have with this ludwig kit!

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

OK.

Well, I though it might be, but with all of the bubbles I wasn't sure. I have not seen this before, so It conserned me.

Thanks for the info.

Randy

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here