Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Wrap polishing Contrast and Novus

OK - some of you may not like this post as many of you swear by the Novus product(s) for wrap polishing.

Well, after reading up on this here, I concluded that Novus 2 is really all you need.

My first full restore was a Majestic Deluxe in Oyster Pearl wrap. To polish the wrap and bring it back to life, I used 3M Lens Polish and Protector. It really came to life, and I have also used it on a snare that had lost much of its contrast (BDP).

I happen to be out in California right now and restoring a kit - but away from home and without my supplies. I figured a fast product to pick up (and try for the first time BTW) was Novus 2 - as you all raved about it. So, I made a special trip to get it in hand immediately (and avoid a shipping wait time).

I went to use it - and yes, it does a good job at clarifying the reflection. However, it still leaves the cloud of....a lack of contrast. We all know how sharp the wrap looks under the lugs - what it used to look like brand new. Well, as I was convinced it existed, I headed off to the auto parts store to find a product that would work. I took my shell right in there and must have tried 5 or 6 products (mostly some lens restore and also some Maguires stuff) to find what the 3M had done (brought the CONTRAST back) - and NOTHING in that whole store would do so.

So - as far as I am concerned (at least in cases of loss of contrast) the score:

Novus 2 - 0

3M Lens Polish and Protector: 1

Disclaimer: The restore to the 100% match with 'new' is not likely to happen - but by far the best and closest I have seen to it - is this 3M stuff.

It came to me recommended by a guitar player who was tipped off about it from his neighbor who worked in the auto industry.

I have decided to treat with Novus and at least getting a clear reflection until I can get my hands on some 3M. ....and will proceed with the restore and come back to it later with the 3M.

When commenting - and offering insight from your experience - please be specific in regards to the issue of CONTRAST.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

2Timothy1:7
Posted on 10 years ago

good info there john..thanks.

mike

Posted on 10 years ago

I use Maguires Plastic Polish and then follow up with Novus 1. I feel that the Novus 1 gives me that "clarity" that your talking about.

Posted on 10 years ago

From Gerald Sterken

I use Maguires Plastic Polish and then follow up with Novus 1. I feel that the Novus 1 gives me that "clarity" that your talking about.

Does the Maguires bring back the contrast, or shall I describe it as address the fade? I say this because evidently in some cases, the 'fade' is in fact more related to the outer layer of (whatever) rather than an ir-reversible change in the color.

Also, what specific Maguires product are you using?

I had a great day! Instead of sleeping in and wasting the day, I got up at 8 and I had all my slacking done by noon!

Posted on 10 years ago

I've been using Meguiar's PLASTX, clear plastic cleaner and polish. It takes some of the cloudiness and yellowing or gray off the wrap. I always use Novus 1 after. The Novus 1 makes it shinier and clearer.

Posted on 10 years ago

Not trying to argue - I just found PlastX to be weak.

Anyone out there ever used both PlastX and this 3M stuff?

Posted on 10 years ago

I used the 3m headlight kit on some old Ludwigs last year sometime.

It worked pretty good.

I probably could have kept going and got more of the color back into the wrap but I got bored.

:D

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 10 years ago

I've been happy with the results I get. The process I use is to spread a fair amount of the PLASTX on. Then I rub pretty hard using small circles. Then I buff with another cotton cloth. Then I buff with a microfiber coth. Then I spray on the Novus 1 and buff twice with another microfiber cloth. I do plan to try the 3M stuff after I use up what I've got. It's good to have more than one option. Gerald (Jerry).

Posted on 10 years ago

I use Novus 2 and then Novus 1 with pretty much the same methods as Jerry. You should step down to 1 from 2. I have been happy with the results, but will give the 3M stuff a hook.

Posted on 10 years ago

Good info, especially for us Europeans who can't get Novus over here. I'll definitely give it a try.

Alex

Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here