Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Wrap ding repairs?

I have a Ludwig standard kit in need of some TLC. It is in good enough shape that I am not considering anything as drastic as a re-wrap, but there are some scratches and dings in the wrap that need more than just polishing out. has anyone ever filled such defects with epoxy or plastic filler of any kind? If I can find out a material that will work, these will get the ding repairs, then be fully buffed out using a power buffer and graded abrasives before the typical novus shine.

Posted on 15 years ago

I've thought oof this to. Let me know if you figure anything out.

Recent Purchases
-1961 SBP Pioneer Snare Drum
-1962 SBP Super Classic w/ Matching COB Supra

Working On
-1963 Red Sparkle Hollywood w/ matching Super Classic Snare

Recently Completed
-1964 WMP Super Classic
Posted on 15 years ago

I almost did the same post a few days ago - but said "pluck that duck, just go for it!" -

My old Rogers marching bass has 10 mysterious marks, some worse than others - almost like round cigarette burns that marred the wrap. The worst one had no clear top part of the wrap, no sparkles left, and was just the greyish wrap backing with tiny imprints where the crushed glass sparkles used to be. - I'm talking about a nearly circular shape, about a 1/2" diameter.

My plan to fix it fell short of my imagined result, but is no worse than the divot - an improvement sort of.

First I masked around the hole with tape. Then I took a small piece old junk wrap and separated the clear top from the backing and coaxed out a quantity of crushed glass and filled the hole. Then I mixed up some clear epoxy and drizzled a drop into the hole over the crushed glass. I let it set up a little then tried to level it and press it into the divot with wax paper. - - I should have let it set longer than I did, but wanted to remove the wax paper before it totally hardened - It's a 5 minute set epoxy. When I pulled up the wax paper, the whole thing stuck to it DOH.

In a panic, I took a small piece of crushed glass still stuck to the backing, and glued into the divot with the left over epoxy. I let that set and then added another drop of epoxy on top to act as the clear top layer. - It didn't all fit together as nicely as the crushed glass & epoxy alone - so after it set, I carefully filed it close to the wrap surface.

It did fill the gap, and a few glass sparkles kinda show up. From a yard away it's easy to miss that it's a patch - it's just a discoloration. If I can polish it, it'll be a little better, but - compared to the original hole, it's the lesser of 2 evils.

WHAT I SHOULDA DONE is mixed up the crushed glass with the epoxy, dripped in the perfect amount and let that dry, since the epoxy dries to a nice clear gloss. - - A learning experience. I may or not try another divot later.

I do gotta say that, depending on the Standard wrap, that's a tough one. What finish do you have? Strata or otherwise?

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for your reply.

Otherwise.

So the epoxy sticks to the old wrap?

Posted on 15 years ago

So far, so good, it seems to stick ok. My first try at such a thing. I'm no guru about this. - - I do have a gold strata 13" tom that I'm turning into a piccolo snare - and it needs some wrap repair. It's shell was chopped by the original owner quite raggedly - my plan with that is to square up the edge and use some of the leftover wrap to patch a missing part. But, that's a simpler fix of ruff matching the strata wrap pattern and gluing the piece in place. That section will be mostly covered when the hoop & head are on.

It's an irregularly shaped spot of about 1" square.

I probably won't use epoxy for that. Probably just contact cement or, I've heard super glue can work on seams and possibly elsewhere.

I look forward to reading of your methods & results with the buffing and all.

idk how epoxy buffs, but I've heard of it being used on fretless bass fingerboards to bring out the whine of the string (Gary Willis, Tribal Tech), so I guess it can have a nice finish. - Good Luck!

...but when he played on his drum, he made the stars explode....
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here