Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Wrap Damage

Hello all,

I don't know if these pictures show well, but I am trying to restore a Slingerland 1977 80N set that has lots of damage to the wraps. Every drum has lots of scratches and gouges, some worse that others. I have tried Turtle Wax Scratch Remover along with a high gloss Turtle Wax Polish, but most of the damage remains. I am now going to try Novus 1, 2, and 3. Hopefully this will work. I don't want to do a rewrap if I can avoid it. If anyone has any more suggestions I would welcome them.

2 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

Using Novus in descending order should do the trick. I just recently spoke to another member of the forum who used Novus on a kit that he considered sending back to the seller due to undisclosed wrap damage. He said they look real good now.

Good luck!

By the way, Welcome to VDF!

I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 12 years ago

Got to ditto the Novus thing. I cleaned up a 60s Ludwig Club Date in champagne sparkle last fall with all 3 stages of Novus and it came out much better than I expected.

There are several sellers of this stuff on eBay.

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Novus is indeed fantastic, however, scratches in a solid color wrap like that may not be repairable. I did have great success restoring an early Ludwig B/O badge kit in black and was surprised at how well it came out. All of the numerous scratches in that kit were in the clear surface ply however. There was nothing that dropped through the actual color.

tnsquint
Very proud owner of a new Blaemire Snare 6.5 x 14 made by Jerry Jenkins "Drumjinx"
Posted on 12 years ago

Hello all,

Can anyone recommend to me the brand name of a good microfiber cloth to use for cleaning and polishing wraps? Or, what do all of you pros out there use for cleaning and polishing wraps? I have been using some old cotton T shirts that still feel quite soft, but I have found that they leave fine scratches, despite using the Novus system. I just got finished restoring a drum for a friend, a 6" black 1970's Pearl concert tom. It was in really bad shape and cleaned up very nicely. However, I noticed all the fine scatches that showed up where I had just cleaned! Your help would be greatly appreciated! DOH

1975 Pearl F5 Rock Beat Set

1977 Slingerland 80N Set

Posted on 12 years ago

I used a foam polishing wheel that I bought from the parts store. It fit in my drill chuck and did a great job.

Lynn

I'm no guru, just a vintage drum junkie!

Psalm 150:5
1945 Slingerland RK sparkling gold pearl 26/13/14/16/early 50s 5.5x14 Krupa RK
1967 Slingerland green glass glitter 20/12/14/Hollywood Ace
60s Slingerland 24/13/16/7x14 project
24/13/16/7x14 project RKs
60s 5 & 6.5 Sound Kings
1942 7x14 WMP Krupa RK
1930s Slingerland Universal
1967 Ludwig Hollywood sparkling blue pearl 22/12/13/16
1967 Ludwig Supraphonic 400 & 402
1965 Ludwig Jazz Fest sparkling blue pearl
1923 Ludwig 5x14 NOB
Posted on 12 years ago

you may wish to check out car headlight polishing kits... or wait till i do and then report back

it largely involves wet sanding from 800 - 3000 grit sandpapers, then buffing with a wool wheel fitted to a drill

there's about a million photos and videos on youtube and 20-odd pages of posts in all the car forums

seems like largely the same methodology for plastic wraps... i have a black bass drum just waiting here, but once i start there's no going back

Posted on 12 years ago

I`ve never seen drum hardware pull off the finnish on a wrap like that before, no matter how long it`s been on !! Very strange !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

Hi SlingerLynn,

At what speed would you run your drill when polishing a drum wrap? I would like to try this method, but I don't want to cause any more damage! Thanks.

Help2

Posted on 12 years ago

I wouldn't use too high of a speed or you'll melt the wrap. If you're useing any power tools keep the speed down and don't leave it in one spot too long so it doesn't build up heat.

Oddball I think that's just years of crud that built up around the hardware. The wraps are a solid color throughout.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here