Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Would Used Drum Heads Still Tune?

I thought I've heard that if you put pre-played, pre-tuned heads on a fresh shell they might not tune so well once unseated from their former home. I guess the theory is they've already been stretched. True or false?

I decided to add the snare beds to the 3ply snare and hoped to use the heads again since they've hardly been played....

And I'm thinking of taking all the heads off and having a good look at all the bearing edges.

I should be able to re-use these heads, right?

1 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

They'll stretch and conform to the drum they were originally installed on. Every drum's a little bit different, so when you move the head to a different drum, there's a chance it won't seat evenly. There's nothing to stop you from giving it a shot, but there's certainly no guarantee you'll get it to sound great.

If it's a snare side head being moved from drum to drum, my advice is to forget it. Differences in snare beds make snare side head swaps particularly problematic.

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here